This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30800 March 21st, 2005 at 01:30 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so I bought this onion a couple weeks ago at the store.. it was under my counter, and I just never got to use it. I went for my onions, and found this...

[Linked Image]

Ok, so it's not the first time something like this has happened, but it is the first time it ever got this big! And now it's got me wondering.. can I plant this thing? What will happen if I do? It's kinda neat.

Meg

#30801 March 21st, 2005 at 05:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Try it Meg....
The least thing I think you'll get is
a flower???
(some what like a chive or garlic flower)

I don't think you'll be able to harvest another onion, as it's the second year of growth when
you see big honkers like that come out???????????
The seed stalk comes the second year, I thought???

Weezie

#30802 March 21st, 2005 at 11:47 AM
Hey meg, i sometimes grow onions using onion sets. This is where you plant seed and leave them in very poor soil and overcrowded. They only get to about 1" max in diameter by the end of the season. Pull them out and dry them. Anyway, next season you replant them into well prepared soil and they go berko. Get gigantic in no time. I don't know if your already big onion would do the same but i'd be interested to know how it goes.

#30803 March 23rd, 2005 at 08:38 AM
L
L
Hi,
If you plant that onion what you will get is a load of small black seeds. After it has flowered.These seeds can be saved until next year.
I plant my seeds at the end of January, in the basement, under lights.I keep the plant at about 4ins high by cutting off the tops.After hardening them off they can be planted outside in the garden.To grow into big fat juicy onions.

Dave

#30804 March 23rd, 2005 at 08:14 PM
Hi there!!!
I just recently came across an onion in my pantry just like yours! I let it grow in front of a sunny window and, like yourself, wondered if I could plant it. Nobody seemed to know the answer, so I just let it stay in the sunny window unplanted. Then I got a magazine in the mail a few days later and it had a picture of an onion, just like our onions, and it was sitting in a glass of water with the greens shoots at the top and white roots growing into the water. So, naturally, I ran over to my onion, stuck toothpicks in its side, and sat it in a tall glass of water and put it back in the sunny window. The very next moring it had 2-inch long white roots, and now, about a week and a half later, it's still growing and has yet to form a flower.

I was wondering, would anyone care to share how to grow actual onions for eating? Would I be able to use parts of this onion I have growing after it flowers and I dry it out?

luv Good luck with your onion!!!

#30805 March 27th, 2005 at 12:00 PM
This is just the topic I was hoping to find. I think we all have that onion somewhere in the kitchen. My question was is the green shoots edible? Like scallions? Or is it now inedible and has to grow into it's next stage of life, ie flowering and seed production?

#30806 March 27th, 2005 at 10:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, the green tops are edible. i have done that many times when mine have sprouted and i needed the onion and had no more.

#30807 March 28th, 2005 at 02:42 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
How funny! I had an onion just like that last night...but all I thought about was eating the darn thing...never thought about planting it! I cut the green top off and used as a garnish on my deviled chic platter!

Link Copied to Clipboard