This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30538 May 10th, 2005 at 02:49 AM
G
OP Offline
G
If I added manure and peat moss to my soil am I changing the soil to make it acidic or alkaline?

#30539 May 10th, 2005 at 04:31 AM
I read that bulbs grow really well in the Netherlands because the soil is full of seashells which makes it alkaline. So I would think that the manure and peat moss would change the acidity of the soil. You can also use lime if your soil has a pH of 5.9 or below. I think they make tests you can do yourself to check this. Check at a farm supply store if you have one nearby. You may be able to find one there.

#30540 May 10th, 2005 at 05:26 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Manure and peat moss definately add to the soil's acidity!
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/acidsoil.html

#30541 May 11th, 2005 at 11:44 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I'm still learning - what is humus rich soil and how do I get that?

#30542 May 12th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Humus is
The brown or black organic part of the soil resulting from the partial decay of leaves and other vegetable matter.
(Basically, it's compost after it's been integrated into the mineral components of soil)

#30543 May 13th, 2005 at 11:18 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you Bill but - does that make the soil acid or alkaline? I'm still confused. I have plants that I just purchased and some need acid soil and some need alkaline. I know I can add lime to make the soild acid but not sure about Alkaline. Would humus be alkaline or acid?

#30544 May 13th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
You can purchase humus at places like WM or nurseries or most any place that sells garden supplies. Humus rich soil is soil that has had humus (commercially made or made at home in a compost pile) added to it. I would venture to say that it would be on the acid side as it would be if you simply added manure to it. There are also products sold to make soil more alkaline for plants the require a more alkaline soil... I'm sure Bill will come along soon with more info-- but in the meantime I hope this helps some...

#30545 May 14th, 2005 at 12:21 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
girliemac,

If you double click on the blue text bill provided in his post and read down about 3/4ths of the way it will tell you precisely what, and how much, to add to your soil to get the proper pH for your different plants.

If you can not find the information I can cut and paste it into a post on this string for you.

trying to add the correct amount of "humus" could be a long and error ridden project that could cost you many plants. This is assuming that you are planning to plant them outside.

If you are container gardening I would suggest that you buy the correctly amended potting soil for your type of plant. I'm sure you have noticed that there is special potting soil for succulents, cactus, violets, orchaids(sp) and probably more besides. Also it might be wise if it is container gardening to know how much room the plant likes to have. Many will not bloom if they are not somewhat root bound.

This is just some of the information I have been trying to gather also; because, I am a new gardener and know nothing other than what I have read on this site. Or should I say that I have been learing that just about everything I thought I knew was exactly backwards or just totally wrong.

It definitely makes me feel confused

Link Copied to Clipboard