This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30421 October 30th, 2005 at 03:03 PM
OP Offline
Hey all.. I recently purchased a tiger lilly plant, it's finished blooming and the petals are all falling off.. what I'm trying to figure out is.. whats the best way to keep it so i will come back next year, I know they are anuals ans have bulbs but i don't know how to preserve it (the same for gladiolus (outdoors). any help or suggestions.. or maybe a point in the right direction? thx in advance

#30422 October 30th, 2005 at 04:44 PM
O
O
Just plant it out in the ground, maybe dig in some compost and mix it with the soil in the hole before planting. I have a tiger lily, that comes back year after year. The same with gladiolus, I live in zone 6 and they say to dig gladiolus up each year, but mine are close to the foundation of my house and never have any problems coming back. Not even last winter when it got down to -5 degrees F.

#30423 October 30th, 2005 at 11:50 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Those should over winter alright, I would think..
Does your plant look like this style of lily???

Pink Tiger Lily

#30424 October 31st, 2005 at 12:54 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I did read that if you have cold winters it's a good idea to put between 3 and 5 inches of mulch on glads. So I put three inches of mulch on all my bulbs it seemed like a good idea to me. I hope it works.

#30425 October 31st, 2005 at 04:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cloud, Is the tiger lily outdoors or do you have it potted as an indoor houseplant?

#30426 November 1st, 2005 at 08:27 AM
OP Offline
I have it planted indoors.. almost all my plants are indoor w/artificial light this ones by a window.. thx for the outdoor advice but i live in an apt. building so i cant plant in the ground. any other suggestions thx... and just so everyone knows it's cLoud (sea-Loud) smile
should i just let the plant die (use all the nutrients then cut it down once all the foliage is dead and leave it in a cold dark place.. this is what I assume...
thx in advance
(p.s. - Yes we have VERY cold winters and yes that is my plant weezie, almost identical.. except mine is BRIGHT orange, and mine lacks the black dots on the petals)

Link Copied to Clipboard