This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30188 April 11th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My boyfriend just bought these gorgeous palms. Which I’m assuming they are palms I do not know the common name for this particular one.
But he has left it up to me to care for this plants (which I don’t mind) but I want to make sure I don’t kill them.
So I was wondering could you tell me how often I should water them? And any other care I need to know about.
I watered them a week ago when we repotted them.

#30189 April 11th, 2005 at 09:06 PM
C
C
I had bought 3 palms last year and killed one of them before I realized that they were dying for water. I water mine several times a week, but not a bunch of water all at once. I just stick my finger in the soil and make sure it is not too dry.

Connie

#30190 April 11th, 2005 at 09:17 PM
NICE PALMS, i do the finger thing too,its a good trick if yoour not sure whether or not to water.
just stick your finger in the soil about an inch or so and if it feels dry i water grinnnn

#30191 April 11th, 2005 at 09:43 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Oh ok well I'm glad I asked bc my boyfriends neighbor told me that they rarely need water. He claimed that he just got a Palm and that is what he was told when he bought his.
It has been a week so I will check the plants today.
I really love these plants; they are so big and pretty! It was a chore to repot them though. Haha but worth it so I really DON’T want them to die.
Thanks!

#30192 April 12th, 2005 at 01:26 PM
C
C
I have a palm just like yours and until I started really watering it well it didn't do anything but sit there. Now that I have been watering it way more it has put 4 new big leafs on. I had read that brown tips on these plants meant lack of humidity or water and all my poor leaves had brown tips.

By the way...they are gorgeous! Looks like you have tall ceilings.

Connie

#30193 April 12th, 2005 at 06:05 PM
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much!
I watered them yesterday and I watered them enough to wet the entire tope of the soil.
I didn’t know that they needed to be watered so much but I will keep my eye on them now!
They are really pretty and I love them!!
I will spray them with a water bottle to help with humidity. If I can find a way to reach the top! haha.
Yes my boyfriend has a gorgeous house with vaulted ceilings.
The plants just finish his house; it seems so "homey" now.
He is happy that he got the plants.

Link Copied to Clipboard