This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30134 December 1st, 2005 at 05:02 AM
N
nikisue Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have an amaryllis bulb that I saved from last year. It is still firm but the outside is brownish in color and sort of "crispy". Should I attempt planting this year? Thanks!

#30135 December 1st, 2005 at 05:19 AM
O
O
Sure! I just planted mine a week and a half ago. If you need instructions, let us know. I have to go to work now and won't have time to look them up till later. Some else may know. If not, I'll get back to you.

#30136 December 1st, 2005 at 05:44 AM
N
nikisue Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Terrific -- It's now planted and watered and placed in a northern exposure. It's my understanding that they like a fairly "tight fit" when potted and that I shouldn't water again until I see some green. Hope mine does as well as yours.

#30137 December 1st, 2005 at 07:00 AM
M
M
I just put mine to bed earlier this month. They'll start showing a bud, or leaves on the babies, around Feb-March, live outside all summer, and die back in October. They're really easy to cross polenate and grow from seed, but it takes about 4 years until they flower.

#30138 December 1st, 2005 at 09:58 AM
N
nikisue Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Now that's something new to me -- Amaryllis from seed. No wonder you're listed as "Great Gardner". Thanks so much for the info. By the way, can I take seeds from my plant if it blooms again this year? If so, any advice on doing this would be appreciated

#30139 December 1st, 2005 at 08:36 PM
M
M
They are self fertile, so even if you only have one plant, you can get it to seed. You have to pollenate them by hand - I use a little paintbrush that came with my son's watercolor kit. Then you just wait. The flower petal part will die leaving the main stem from the bulb, the 4 (or 3 or 2) little stems that went to the actual flower, and the "blob" (pod?) at the end with the developing seeds. It's not particularly pretty at this point, but so what? I didn't look so great when I was pregnant, either. Anyway, when the pod-thing starts to turn tannish brown and get dry, you've got viable seed! If you know someone who has a different colored one blooming when yours is, bring home some of its pollen in a baggie (or whatever) and cross them. That'll make waiting the few years for the flowers (what color will they be?) more interesting. Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard