This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30094 April 11th, 2005 at 02:34 AM
S
sam314 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all,
I got a perennial hybiscus early last summer. It bloomed wonderfully for me and it was all very exciting. I really like hybiscus. Anywho...I was writing because I was not sure if it would come up again this year. Rumor had it that it might/might not, considering I'm in zone 3. So, being the "patient" person I am, I went and dug it up just to see if the roots were all well and good. They seemed to be. So I washed them out and upon further investigation, I believe I found a bud!!! So I quickly put it back in the ground and gave it a good watering. Afterwards, I found the tag and read it and it said that you're supposed to be patient in the spring, as it takes a while to break dormancy lala Oh well. If anyone has experience with these in the harsher zones, I would appreciate some input and your stories and experiences!
Sam

#30095 April 11th, 2005 at 04:03 AM
Hi Sam,
I walk around the yard everyday , every spring and always wonder when my hybiscus will sprout? It always does, but I always think it won't nutz I think it likes to torcher me laugh

#30096 April 11th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Sam,

I remember when I first started gardening,
and had bought one of the hibiscus shrub/bushes and I kept waiting for it to do something, and waiting and waiting... It just looked like a dead stick~sticking out of the ground frown , deader than a door nail... but then I'd finally decided to take my snippers to it to see if it was still alive *and green* and grinnnn but then I thought I'd hurt it by clippin' it eek and that thing didn't bud out until the longest time...

I have another variety, that dies back to the ground and it takes forrrrrrrrrrrrrevvverrrrrrrrr
to finally come out of the ground, but also is still blooming late into the fall....It's got the big, dinner plate sized flowers, that you can see from 2 yards away...

Weezie

#30097 April 11th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
HI wavey SAM i have a few hibiscus and some of mine are like yours i looked to day and some of mine have just now broken the from ground i live in zone 7 i also have some hardy hibiscus and they havent yet i have found that if you mulch them down with leaves real well they will come back most of the time it depends on how deep your soil freezes wether they will come back each year.if you found a small bud or off shoot on yours theres a good chance it will come back 4 you.good luck with your hibiscus plant.your friend in gardeing.mike57 wavey flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard