This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29909 September 21st, 2005 at 02:40 AM
OP Offline
We have this one room upstairs, havent done anything to it yet, right now just a craft room. Anyway, I was thinking Duh Could I convert that into a mini greenhouse? Then I was thinking can I have some tomatoes in the winter (zone 8). It does get pretty warm in there (old house, A/C window units) I can put some lights over the seedlings there -- will it be a productive crop? I have no doubt about the flowering seeds. But just the thought of having fresh onions, tomatoes, bellpeppers, etc. on burgers during the winter just makes my mouth water clp

#29910 September 21st, 2005 at 03:08 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Give those tomatoes bunches of room lol. I tried tomatoes inside this spring and boy howdy they took over the apartment. My apartment is very very small by the way lol. I don't know about the bell peppers or onions but the tomatoes no problem. You can also do herbs and green onions inside no problem. So good luck with your indoor greenhouse. I envy you the set up. Hope you have a water faucet up there.

#29911 September 21st, 2005 at 04:08 AM
Userjh160
You should send a private message to noneofyourbusiness. He does indoor gardening. You need more than fluorescent lights to produce any vegetables. I know that the lights you need really up the hydro bill!! Starting tomatoes indoors is no problem but they eventually need to go outside unless you buy these "special" lights. Also...tomatoes grow best around 68F. They only need and want that heat in order to sprout. Good Luck!!! and I know noneofyourbusiness will fill you in on everything you need to know!!
Christina

#29912 September 22nd, 2005 at 11:32 AM
OP Offline
TK what a wonderful idea, I can grow green onions too and chives, mmmmmm love them on baked potatoes. I have lots of room there, of course I will have to organize it so that I can do my crafts there also -- what a set-up, now my husband will never see me, lol. I will have plants, veggies, and crafts -- what more can a person want?????

Thanks

#29913 September 22nd, 2005 at 11:35 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Christina, I will send them an email tomorrow -- gotta get ready for work eek eek eek You know I just love this group, I get so much information here smile smile

Thanks again

Malinda

#29914 September 22nd, 2005 at 12:10 PM
No need for the email, I'm right here! lol

Yes you can definately do them indoors, but you will difinately need a high powered light. You'd need at least 1-2 400W lights, but I would suggesst using something stronger than that if you can. Running one - 400 watt light for 18 hours a day is like using a 27 inch TV for 24 hours. It will up the bill a bit, but not as much as people would think. If you do use onre of these, you could grow ANYTHING indoors. I do it myself all the time. It does take a little investment, but it pays itself off in no time. Check out my indoor garden: My indoor Garden
Hope this helps!

#29915 September 29th, 2005 at 11:30 AM
OP Offline
Thanks -- I will check into that -- I havent been able to get to the computer lately cuz Rita cut off our electricity for about 4 days mad mad , but now all is back to normal and sitting here in a/c -- a/c is REAL good clp clp

#29916 September 30th, 2005 at 08:59 PM
S
S
lol, user's sitting in AC and I've got the heater on and actually wearing thermals this morning...crazy.

#29917 September 30th, 2005 at 09:59 PM
OP Offline
I do miss the cool weather from Virgina, although it is nothing compared to Canada Im sure. Right now the weather is perfect, we got a cold front that is passing through, perfect to be outside working on the garden and not get overheated. shk

Link Copied to Clipboard