This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29656 January 29th, 2005 at 11:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just bought a fuschia begonia from my nursery, half-off as it had been sitting around for a while. It's still lovely, if a bit straggly, and I have no idea how to care for it(of course, I can't remember what the guy told me). I'm growing it as a houseplant, but I think traditionally it is grown outside as a perennial. The info I found on the web still left me in the dark, so does anyone have any tips? Much appreciated! grinnnn

#29657 February 1st, 2005 at 06:16 AM
wavey Hi! Begonia fuchsioides is in the "shrub-like" family of begonias. They like night temps no lower that 64F and moderate to bright winter light to enhance foliage color. (They're usually grown for foliage but may have fragrant flowers.)Depending on the variety it may be a seasonal, everblooming or accasional bloomer. To encourage compact growth, pinch out the growing tips twice in the growing season (spring/early summer). They are usually freely branching with erect or semi-erect stemsand the flowers are raceames, like Wisteria. Hold off on repotting unless the plant is root-bound. Use fertilizer only during growing season. Place in a shadey spot in the summer...direct sunlight may burn leaves. Keep the soil moist but not wet.
Hope this helps!

#29658 February 1st, 2005 at 06:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Barb, that was great! And I love your signature, I got that in an email around Christmas time, and it made my day. That's why I'm on my 17th cup of coffee already, LOL.
Anyway, I went back to the nursery this weekend, and found out it is a Begonia Richmondensis, so I was able to find out more specific info on it. But you are right on target, thank you! It really is a lovely plant and I want it to be happy. It has the most delicate, salmon colored flowers on it, too cute. Anyway, it's my baby and I'm going to go fawn over it right now.
Thanks again for the tips!

#29659 February 5th, 2005 at 11:09 PM
Looked up the richmondensis and it IS a lovely plant! Glad I could be of help. By the way, the other signature I was thinking of using..."Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" Hope that give you another giggle! wink
Barb

Link Copied to Clipboard