This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29565 September 24th, 2005 at 11:37 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have two large aloe plants in pots and both have developed black spots on that inside leaves. The bottom ones look fine but the newer ones have black spots. What do I need to do to save my plants. They are both large. The bottom arms are over a foot long. Help please

#29566 September 25th, 2005 at 12:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Lady Buttercup,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
We're very glad you found us....

I'd like to let you know that I was going
to move your post into the HOUSE plant SECTION,
I know you'll recieve a few more response's to
your question there...

And I'd also like to let you know, we have a great little cyber community here and that
there's lot's to do here, thru every season
and the holidays..we have crafts, hobbies, recipes, banter hall for chatting and getting to
know the family here and a game room to keep us
busy, especiall during the winter months...

So, jump right on in and have fun..

P.S. Very cute name...

#29567 September 25th, 2005 at 05:39 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks Weezie.....I hope someone can tell me what to do about my aloe plants.

#29568 September 26th, 2005 at 09:26 PM
M
M
Do you know what kind of aloe you have? Most come from places with seasonal rainy times - some from winter rain places, some from summer rain places. All like well draining soil, sun, and to get a bit dry between waterings. Some have surprisingly big root systems. Others, like a. vera, have almost none. My guess is that you've got some root rot going on. I've got a similar thing happening with one of my aloe broomii. It just wants its winter dry spell sooner than I thought it would. I'm going to repot it, same size pot, new dirt to make sure there's no rotting material to promote fungus growth (I use a soil mix with about 50% drainage material), trim off the brown inner leaves, give it more sun and less water.
Let us wish eacho other luck!

#29569 September 27th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
N
N
One of my Aloes has these spots maybe it is sunburn,it wasn't until I had mine outdoors that it developed these. I took the branch off

#29570 September 27th, 2005 at 08:06 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, I will repot and hope for the best. I do have them outside but not in the sun. I bring them in for winter. Don't have a clue what kind they are. Didn't even know there were different kinds. Again....thanks

#29571 September 29th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
M
M
Check the Institute for Aloe Studies web site: /www.aloestudies.org/. He's got nice pic's, good info, and you can buy plants. There are over 150 species of aloe growing in the Republic of South Africa alone.

Link Copied to Clipboard