This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29419 May 14th, 2005 at 01:06 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I currently live in Wisconsin, where it gets downright cold and nasty, and am trying to landscape my new yard. I would like to plant evergreens near the house, and stumbled upon one called a Red Head Pieris that I really like. However, the leaves dont appear to be regular evergreen leaves - they are relatively soft and appear as though they would not keep all winter. I really want something that will stay green all year; does anybody know if these Pieris plants will keep their leaves all year round in cold climates? I cant seem to find an answer online anywhere...
Thanks!

#29420 May 14th, 2005 at 03:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
From what I could find it's evergreen zone 5 and if you plant close to your house you can usually add one zone to your areas growing zone. It did mention that you should provide winter protection.

Some broadleafed plants like the roddy do keep their leaves throughout the winter and this appears to be a close relative to those. Winter protection was also suggested in the colder growing range and mulching was mentioned.

I'm sorry all I could find were very sketchy articles. And I have NO personal experience with this plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard