This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#28689 June 26th, 2005 at 10:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Fish eat cucumbers?????????
Seriously?????

I have a betta, catfish, frog, placasomus??**(sp)

#28690 June 26th, 2005 at 10:43 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Your catfish and Pleco would ADORE cukes or squash. (They also will eat sweet potato, green beans, broccoli (although it will stink things up a bit), and many other veggies...the more types you try the more types you will discover they love.)

Your betta would love green peas that have been boiled soft and shelled...but ultimately he is a carnivore who prefer his veggies only as an occasional snack.

Your frog...well, frogs like worms. LOL

Veggies for aquatic critters need to be blanched or microwaved until soft...the soggier/mushier the better. Just be careful not to overdo it and foul the water. One 1/4 inch slice is plenty for starters. Leave it in the tank for 24 hours and then remove any leftovers. It's best to feed the day before your regular water change day to start with until you get a feel for how much they will eat and how much they will leave on their plates. wink

In the wild, fish eat a lot of vegetation. They get nutritients that way and get keep themselves "regular" that way (in a metamucil kinda way. wink )

#28691 June 27th, 2005 at 03:36 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Ok...so progress from today:

[Linked Image]

It looks so sad. frown I am hoping I have made a difference in time. I removed a lot of the damaged leaves and started moving the vines onto the weedblock. I have a couple more of the trellises I can put in the center section once the plants kinda lay down and figure out which direction they want to head.

On a positive note, I thought I would post a couple pics of my peppers....they make me feel like a little less of a failure:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(If I could just figure out why the plants have stayed so short...although I don't suppose it really matters much.)

Oh! And my herb plants: (with the cucumber patch in the background)
[Linked Image]

There are several containers there...the two tiniest ones on each end contain cinnamon trees, and the ugly black pot has a blueberry plant, the ceramic pot on the back left has sweet basil, sage, thyme, pineapple mint and chocolate mint and the green container on the right holds a jade plant, with spearmint planted in all the holes (it's a strawberry pot.) smile

#28692 June 27th, 2005 at 06:35 AM
I use a tomatoe basket for my cucumbers, it sems to work well. They grow up the basket and stay off the ground.

#28693 June 27th, 2005 at 07:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
This year I used rabbit fencing,
and used it as a hoop in the dirt in my
raised beds..from one side to the other,
planted the plants at one end.. and in
the direction the sun would grow, so they
grow towards it...

**I wish I had my camera, I'm just doing it
now and when I get a camera, I'll take some pic's.

#28694 June 28th, 2005 at 01:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
BTW~Those peppers look very nice.... thumbup
I had forgotten to post crit about those!

#28695 August 2nd, 2005 at 07:02 PM
Morning All!
I planted Burpee "Bush Champion" Cucumbers and they seem to be thriving well. I made my own stakes out of old branches. Stuck the wood in the ground to keep the "Fruit" off the ground. Seems to work. I will take some photos and post.

Happy Day! wavey

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard