This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I know some houseplants cannot live outside no matter what. But I have a pothos (I think)/Ivy
[Linked Image]
It has grown A LOT since this picture. And I have a Irish Shamrock [Linked Image] and I have seen both of these plants outside before. I thought both of these were inside only.

So what are the rules to having a houseplant outside for a little while (not in cold weather obviously) and how do you know which ones can go outside for a little while?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
depends on your location, time of year, plant, and amount of sun. both of those will be ok outside, but not over the winter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oxalis will survive winters in zone 7b; pothos need warmer winter temperatures of zone 10.

S
Smh023 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm not really on up on the zones and which way the window and sun are facing? All I do is try to stick my plants near a window that gets sunlight through it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's a start thumbup and, most plants are rated by zones (here in the us) and in nashville, you will be somewhere around 6b/7a. i remember it snows in nashville (haven't been there in years) you can go here to check out the areas for the different zones. if you know a plant is zone 8, then you can check out where that is, then check the weather for that zone to see if your plant would be ok outside where you are on that particular day!

there is a lot more to it, and as you get used to gardening and houseplants, you'll be amazed at what you learn without meaning to.

Link Copied to Clipboard