This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#28227 March 25th, 2005 at 08:21 PM
E
E
Well, yes I am attached to the plant. Not only because of the event I received it for, but because I sat with it on my lap for two days as we drove from Texas to Wisconsin when we moved two months ago. BUT, I have good news. I did try the vase thing. I removed all of the dead roots, which just left the base bulbs of the plant and only two visible 1/2 inch roots. Five days later I have a noticbly perkier plant. Some of the leaves are even standing up on their own! THey haven't done that for over a month. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Thanks for all of the advise.

#28228 March 26th, 2005 at 03:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks for the update... glad we could all help!

#28229 April 1st, 2005 at 03:41 PM
B
B
I am reading and learning from these posts. Maybe someday I will again attempt another Peace lily and not sentence it to'certain death'. Never had any luck with this plant, but sure do love them.

I have a suggestion for those that use the pots with no drainage holes in them, why not just drill some? If you are not as drill-skilled as I, then maybe another in the household or a friend is. I am praciticing on other non attatched pots first.

#28230 April 2nd, 2005 at 02:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the biggest problem with drilling holes is the need for a masonry bit, and the possiblity of cracking the pot.

#28231 April 2nd, 2005 at 03:10 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
masionary bit in good condition. A friend of mine is a carpenter and keeps his bits long after they should be gotten rid of which causes a lot of cracking he also has a bad habit of muscling the drill which also causes cracking. And a lot of frowns from me, but on the up side I've become pretty good with a drill.

#28232 April 6th, 2005 at 05:01 PM
S
S
Well I’m no plant expert by any means. But I have two peace lilies and my small one here
[Linked Image]
was given to me by my mom a few years ago and I moved it to a bigger pot with no drainage holes or gravel in the bottom and it grew and grew. I water it about once a week and let it get sun about every other day.
I just recently found out this was a big peace lily (which I didn’t know)
[Linked Image]
and I never repotted this plant. I rescued it from my work and I give it lots of water and it gets plenty of sun and it does great.

So I have never had the problems you have stated? Not sure why but maybe you are doing too much to them?

#28233 April 7th, 2005 at 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
smh, i think you are doing well with not over watering. the drainage holes make that easier.

#28234 April 7th, 2005 at 07:28 PM
S
S
I water them once a week at the most.

#28235 April 8th, 2005 at 03:42 PM
PMW Offline OP
OP Offline
I do just those same things. Once per week water and I don't get any direct sunlight in my house but it sits in the brightest room away from the door/windows. I've repotted into a smaller pot with drainage holes but it's only been a few weeks so I'm waiting. As it gets warmer I've thought to put it outside for a few hours to get the direct sunlight but that's yet to be determined. I'm jealous of the 1st picture.. :-)

#28236 April 9th, 2005 at 11:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pmw, check the center of your lillies to see if they have a "new" leaf rolled up and starting to emerge. if they do, no matter how droopy the rest of the leaves are, if the other leaves are still green, you are still in good shape (this is a new "trick" i learned this month!) mine at the office are so funny....

#28237 April 11th, 2005 at 07:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Careful placing your peace lily outdoors. Peace lilies live on the jungle floor, sheltered from the sun's burning rays by the tree canopy. Direct sunlight burns their leaves quickly, the damage sometimes not visible for several hours. A sheltered porch is a better idea if you want the plant outside. Good luck!

Cricket

#28238 April 15th, 2005 at 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cricket, you are so right about them peace lilies getting sunburnt. i have killed a couple that way in years past.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard