This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28177 April 21st, 2005 at 05:35 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
flw Email question from Annamarie!!!

Im growing my first container herb garden...i need to know when to harvest them...i have parsley, basil, oregano, dill, chives, garlic chives, cilantro, etc....they are all sprouting nicely, but i dont know when to harvest or how to harvest them. Also can you tell me anything about these "wonder eggs" that are being sold, they have these little dirt disks and seeds for tomatos and these little eggplants...ive never tried growing eggplants before and i dont know anything about these particular kinds of eggplants...

any help would be greatly appreciated
annamarie

#28178 April 21st, 2005 at 06:04 PM
hello annmarie i hope this helps
Harvesting
When not pruned regularly, herbs can become quite floppy and unruly. Regular pruning actually
produces a healthier plant, as well as one that is compact and bushy.Annual herbs can be harvested for their leaves any time up to flowering. Pinching the stem back to a leaf node promotes lateral branching. Pull these plants by the roots before seed sets. Herbs that are grown for their seed (dill, fennel, coriander) must be left and allowed to set seed. Perennial herbs can be clipped from late spring until late summer or flowering, whichever comes first. Do not prune later in the season, as this may encourage tender new growth that is vunerable to frost. The quality, flavor, and fragrance of herbs tend to decline after flowering.

this was posted by another forum gardener i remembered reading it so i figured i would pass it on to you grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard