This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2780 July 29th, 2003 at 05:42 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
False Solomon's Seal, Smilacina racemosa

[Linked Image]

False Solomon's Seal is another great plant for lightly shaded areas of your garden. They produce plumes of tiny white flowers (which remind me of a miniature Astilbe) in late spring followed by bright red berries which last through late Summer and into the Fall.
The plant will reach from 2-3 feet in height, and spreads slowly by underground rhizomes, eventually forming large, attractive clumps.
False Solomon's Seal should be grown in well drained but moist, slightly acidic soil. They prefer light to medium shade.

#2781 July 29th, 2003 at 06:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NICE... MIGHT HAVE TO TRY IT IN MY YARD...

#2782 July 29th, 2003 at 08:07 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Okay another great pick. Right now, at least from the photo the berries look like they have been spray painted with gold paint. Very pretty. Do the birds eat these berries?????
Are there going to be problems with snails? They look like they have very delicate leaves. Just need to know so I can set up a defense before they attack at night and devour it alive. Sluggo and hard shoes. Barefoot just doesn't feel good when you get a piece of shell wedged between your toes.
If you keep coming up with more plants I am going to have to build another place for shade plants. But I do love them sooo much. Kinda weird huh, cactus and ferns, swaying birch trees and citrus trees among other things. What a combo. Thanx, Catlover cool

#2783 July 30th, 2003 at 04:43 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
The Garden Helper
OP Offline
The Garden Helper
B
The luminence of the berries is what drew me to this plant, and made me have to get one for my garden. I have seen a Ruffled Grouse gobbling at the berries, so I assume that other birds would enjoy them as well. Mine has never been bothered by slugs or snails, and in spite of the delicate appearance, these plants are pretty durable (surviving, even after suffering through an accidental size 10ing).

Meow!
cool

Link Copied to Clipboard