This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27265 September 24th, 2005 at 05:28 PM
OP Offline
Once fall bulbs are planted squirrels can be a problem in digging them up and either eating them or storing them elsewhere. Here's a couple of hints that I have discovered over the years and they really work: After planting spread a little "Bloodmeal" over the top of the ground, the squirrels dislike the smell and they will avoid the area. Bloodmeal is a fertilizer, main ingredient is nitrogen, be carefull not to add too much or else you will get all green in the spring and no flowers. You will also have to repeat the process following a rain. Once the snow is on the ground there's no worry.....

Another trick to deter squirrels is to plant fritillaria, they are not only a beautifull flowering bulb but they have a distink odour all their own. A kinda skunkish smell, however the squirrles won't dig in the areas they are planted.....Wayne

#27266 September 25th, 2005 at 10:34 AM
Thanks for the tips. I usually have moles/voles problems. The squirrels seem to stay away from my garden. I do not know why.

I found it helpful to plant Allium around any bulb I want to be safe.

#27267 September 25th, 2005 at 10:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
another way to discourage critters is to put them in a chicken wire "cage". the critters can't dig through it, but the plants grow through the holes just fine.

#27268 September 25th, 2005 at 10:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's good information...
The only tid~bit of info I'd add to that
is about the Bloodmeal...
I'd scratch it into the dirt just wee~bit,
cause you'll get a few critters investing
that DO like bloodmeal, like a dog or cat,
one that would eat meat actuall type of animal..
so, if you cover it a bit, it doesn't attrack
those and if the others dig in, they'll then smell it and leave.. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard