This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26931 October 7th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
BeckyB Offline OP
OP Offline
I need help! I have some kind of ivy plant, I got clippings from my aunt. This is the third time I've tried to grow this plant. I always seem to get these little flies. I finally took samples to the local nursery and was told they are attracted to fungus, from root rot. I have barely watered this last ivy, many wilted leaves, but I still have these flies. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them and keep them away while saving the plant?

#26932 October 7th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Becky,

Those are fungus gnats. They do feed on decaying organic matter and that is usually a component of the soil. If you are getting it repeatedly, then it is probably because the soil you are using for the cuttings is contaminated with the fungus gnat larvae.

Try using a soilless, peat-based potting mix and move you cuttings into this mix and use a small pot. Keep the soil barely damp, but not constantly moist.

The flying gnats will die on their own within a week. If you get rid of the infested soil, you shouldn't have any future problems. If you do, let me know and I will provide further treatment instructions.

Link Copied to Clipboard