This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26520 February 28th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is the plan...I'm thinking of potted vines (datura, moon vine, morning glory...?) to cover this wall. Does anyone know of an inexpensive (translate free) way to trellis? I'm thinking of tying thin branches together.

How many vines can I plant into each 3 gallon pot?

[Linked Image]

#26521 February 28th, 2005 at 02:04 PM
Cricket,
One idea I have seen, was using stainless steel eye screws, and then spider - webbing wire back and forth across it, then just training the vines to grow up it. Have you thought about clematis or honeysuckle or even climbing roses???
Hope this helps some.
muggs

#26522 February 28th, 2005 at 03:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Frustrated,

That's a good idea for trellising! Thanks for the suggestion. Clematis might be a good idea, too - it's growing a few feet away from that wall on a railing, so that would tie in nicely. Also thinking of passiflora. I'd like to create a fragrant, showy look in purples/pinks/blue/white. Maybe throw in a splash of yellow if I can find anything appropriate.

#26523 March 1st, 2005 at 02:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Today I was given a bunch of bamboo stakes. Is bamboo strong enough to use as a trellis?

Does anyone know how many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gallon pot?

#26524 March 2nd, 2005 at 11:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bringing this back up...

How many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gal. pot? More than 1? My cathedral bells seedlings are ready to pot.

#26525 March 3rd, 2005 at 01:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'd be comfortable putting up to 3 per pot... depending on the type of vine...

#26526 March 3rd, 2005 at 01:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh yeah, and about the bamboo stakes... it depends on the diameter/type of bamboo and the vine in question... not much help, am i? laugh laugh laugh

#26527 March 3rd, 2005 at 02:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'd say the same, it would depend on the
type of vine....

Any chance of building a *as long as the wall is*
and maybe 8", 10" or 12" deep wooden planter box
the length of the wall you're covering???

You'd get alot more root room....
If you're covering a huge section like that??

And how tall are the bamboo stakes???

And did you tell us which way the wall is facing?
Does it get morning sun, and/or all day sun??

Weezie

#26528 March 3rd, 2005 at 09:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, y'all! (G-Mom's posts have given me a southern accent laugh )

depending on the type of vine...
So far I've started cathedral bells, with plans to also sow morning glories, angel's trumpet, moonvine and, maybe, passiflora. I think I'm forgetting one or 2.

about the bamboo stakes... it depends on the diameter/type of bamboo and the vine in question...
And how tall are the bamboo stakes
The bamboo stakes are 4ft tall, 1/4" in diameter. The plan is to use them as my horizontal supports and small tree branches as vertical supports, placing the verticals in the pots before adding soil, one or two to each pot. Does this sound feasible?

Any chance of building a *as long as the wall is*
and maybe 8", 10" or 12" deep wooden planter box
No. There is limited space between the house and the pool and I don't want to obstruct the walkway with anything permanent. There would also be a drainage problem with the risk of water seeping into the foundation. frown

And did you tell us which way the wall is facing?
The wall has a southern exposure - it receives sun all day.

#26529 March 3rd, 2005 at 03:24 PM
I used like kite string to make mine climb on a wall last year. I couldn't afford trellises, so my mom suggested that I place a tack so high up on the wall and run string from the ground to the tack. Works okay as long as it's not too wind where it'll be. I had some on the corners and the first tornado winds we had took them down on one side. but they are easy to put back up.

this year I think I'm gonna go with baskets from hooks and let my vines trail out and down for a different look.

#26530 March 3rd, 2005 at 03:32 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I used 100 lb test fishing line....
Use something along the lines of eye hooks
all the way to the top!!!!

Mine wasn't that long, and at the end of the
season, I snipped the lower part and the dead
vine just dropped straight down!!!!

I grew morning glories up mine..

Weezie

#26531 March 5th, 2005 at 02:55 AM
do you have a picture of the cathedral bells. Never seen em.

#26532 March 9th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Cricket:
Bringing this back up...

How many vines will grow comfortably in a 3 gal. pot? More than 1? My cathedral bells seedlings are ready to pot.
Morning Glory --about 7 seeds. I had one pot with 7 and they looked nice but the one with more looked too croweded so I thinned--lost so many seeds from the thinned out plants-.

#26533 March 9th, 2005 at 05:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks! thumbup I want the pots to look full but don't want to waste seeds by thinning much.

#26534 March 18th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
do you have a picture of the cathedral bells. Never seen em.
Cathedral Bells

This is my first year growing them...so far very easy. Sowed the seeds the beginning of February and potted them this week. They're already about 8" high, now growing up to a couple inches a day!

#26535 March 24th, 2005 at 09:14 AM
Cricket, I think that whether or not any given material will be strong enough is dependent upon how you plan to anchor it. The eye-hooks thusfar seems like the best idea to me. It's a tall wall.

BTW, I hate, hate, HATE morning glory. mad That stuff has nearly destroyed my back fence and I've been fighting it these last 3 years to keep it away from the house. I'm not kidding. mad It's coming after the house. I've actually been fighting it for 7 years... since I moved into this place. mad

Oh, sure they SAY they're annuals... but those dang roots stay warm enough to survive, the little buggers. The thing has grown up into a tree so high that there's no way for me to use round-up. mad I can't clip the buds before the seed pods drop.... Oh... there's the other thing... only the stuff that's made to kill poison ivy or other SERIOUSLY invasive plants works on the stuff... mad not to mention the skin irritation and the fact that kids are getting high off of it... mad

All that being said... I'm all for Clematis laugh thumbup

#26536 March 24th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm really not worried about morning glories being invasive because they'll be potted. Their colors will go well with the other vines I'm growing and there aren't children around to concern me.

#26537 March 24th, 2005 at 01:50 PM
unwanted climbing vines are a fact of life around here in Georgia. I have found that if you take a pair of limb loppers, and just cut the vine off above the ground, if it is climbing into a tree will kill the upper part, and when the part left in the ground starts to grow just spray it.

I have killed poison ivy, honeysuckle, morning glory, even some english ivy that way.

#26538 March 24th, 2005 at 05:48 PM
cricket, i didn't realize cathedral bells were cup and saucer vine. cool!! is it true that they have to be sown on their sides. could you elaborate alttle bit for me on how that works? are you leaving them in a pot? thanks, Linda

#26539 March 24th, 2005 at 10:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Linda,

When I sowed my cathedral bells, I didn't know they had to be planted on their sides, so I wasn't particularly careful about their placement. They all germinated very quickly. When they had few true leaves, I transplanted them into pots and am now acclimatizing them to the outdoors, where they will have a permanent home (in pots) by the end of March. They really are one of the easiest (so far) vines!

Cricket

#26540 March 25th, 2005 at 04:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(G-Mom's posts have given me a southern accent )
thumbup laugh thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#26541 March 25th, 2005 at 05:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cricket,
Have you seen something like this???
Rolling Planter/Trellis

I was thinking alot taller trellis than what's pictured, you've got such a high~open area there on the side..

But that type of planter box, on wheels with a trellis....looked nice to me..

Weezie

Found a wooden one without wheels

Found a bunch of cute accents for your yard, and trellis\' and arbors... Make sure you scroll all the way down to the bottom.....

Okay, one more idea....

Link Copied to Clipboard