This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26254 March 15th, 2005 at 05:18 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK guys-you're going to have to bear with me here-I'm VERY new to planting seeds (as in I did it once before, several years ago). I wanted to have a small indoor basil garden. I planted some seeds, following the directions on the package. I used plastic pots and houseplant soil mix. I watered thoroughly and covered with seran wrap with a couple of vent holes. I put these in a west window, and occasionally gave them a shot with the heat/light lamp. They sprouted, but then turned brown and seemed to disappear. I also planted a few in the little lizard tank, just for the fun of it (I'm sure he likes plants too!) Those received the heat/light lamp almost continuously, but from a greater distance. Those sprouted, but they haven't grown in about a week (at least). They're MAYBE 1/4" high. What am I doing wrong? Is there any hope? Thanks!

#26255 March 15th, 2005 at 07:18 AM
hi rozy! shucks about yer seedlings, but try try again! we always learn from our mistakes..thats all part of the process. good thing there are soo many basil seeds in a package, no?

i was trying to picture what went wrong, and i was wondering if you kep the saran wrap on the whole time? the thing with starting most seeds, is that they need warmth and humidity to germinate. but once you see the first sprout, then they start to require AIR. once i see sprouts, i remove my covers and allow air flow. fungal activity has destroyed many-a-young seedling. that may be why the ones in the tank did better...just a thought. teehee..your lizard will have the best breath on the block!!

basil likes rich, moist and well-drained soil. that potting soil is what i use, and i have a mister, and mist them a couple times a day.

other then that...i would try again. they are quite fast to germinate..(like 3-5 days) you should have better luck. make sure yer pots are clean too, it will save much time and trouble.

have fun, and call us when the pesto is ready! flw

#26256 March 15th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
rozy221 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Sidheblooms! You're probably right-I left the plastic on-next time I'll remove it as soon as I see green. Thanks for the tip!

#26257 March 15th, 2005 at 01:11 PM
Meg Offline
So, what about if I have several different peat pots in a container, and only 1/2 have sprouted so far.. do I leave the lid on till they all sprout? Or remove it since my broccoli is already getting looooong & leggy?

Meg

#26258 March 15th, 2005 at 04:49 PM
hi! i would definatly take the lid off. give yer sprouts a chance. as long as you keep the heat at around 70-80 and spritz them often, they will sprout for sure. the humid-dome is a great way for them to bust outta their shell...but the seedlings do need air.you could always cover the ones which arent germinated yet..speed it up, but the constant warmness, and your sweet talking will do it.

#26259 March 16th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
Also don't forget that once a seed germinates and sets its first leaves it requires light. Not just a few hours a day but more than 12. Up to 18 or so. Without light it can't photosythesize and will get leggy and die.

Link Copied to Clipboard