This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bird of paradise won't bloom
#26207 July 27th, 2005 at 11:34 AM
L
libby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have had 4 bird of paradise plants in my garden for about 8 years and only one blooms. They are all healthy looking. What can I do? wavey

Re: bird of paradise won't bloom
#26208 July 27th, 2005 at 08:01 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hmmm...I don't have one, but found some info on them for you that might help.

Welcome to the forum!

Bird Of Paradise

Cindy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
#26209 July 28th, 2005 at 09:58 AM
L
libby Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks so much for your information. I am going to buy some bone meal and fertilize more often. Lets see what happens. Thanks again.

Libby

#26210 July 31st, 2005 at 03:40 AM
P
P
I used to have Strelitzia plants in my Cape Town garden when I lived there, and I did nothing special to them, they just bloomed in spring every year. Now in Spain I have two large plants in a big pot, they like to be pot bound I believe. I had 3 blooms this year in spring, I feed every week with general fertilizer,in summer and water every other day as it is very hot and dry now. So far so good.
My sister grew 3 plants from seed in UK, indoors, and they bloomed after 10 years!!!! Good luck with yours the blooms are worth the wait.

#26211 August 5th, 2005 at 05:48 AM
A
A
Much patience and much food, thats the key with strelitzia. And plenty of water while they are leafing.

Unfortunately I live in the UK and mine are still very young, only six years. In a cool summer they will produce only a few leaves even!

If you want to grow strelitzias then make it worth your while and go for the really good ones.

Everyone has had a go at S. reginae, the orange and blue one, get S. nicolai, the giant Strelitzia, it has almost black flower bracts and pure white petals.

Stunning smile

Link Copied to Clipboard