This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25913 January 10th, 2004 at 05:21 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I think the woodland wildflowers are my favorite.

And my favorite in that catagory is the, yep you guessed it, rue anemone and the yellow ladyslipper. Oh and the jack-in-the-pulpit and solomon seal, the green dragon and the ferns.

I guess they are all my favorites.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Rue,
I have always loved wild flowers,
I am so bad!!! My B~day months' flower is aster's.
I'm a sucker for any and all colors of them..
Verbena's, Queen~Anne's~Lace, Mullein's, Golden Rod, Veronica's, I call them Indian Paint Brushes (but they are the smaller version up here) Thistles, roadside orange lilies, I could go on and on...................

But for the spring time filler, I could not do without the forget me nots, I let them fill in over my bulbs and they are in full color together.
And In some places I let ground ivy grow to cover the soil...Only if my soil is very pliable and that stuff is easily pulled out...

Weezie

R
OP Offline
R
I have a few mulleins in my cottage garden. Do you know that is the one people love the most. During our neighborhood garden tour last year people went nuts over it.

The expression on their faces when I told them it was considered a roadside weed by most was priceless!!

Queen Ann`s Lace is beautiful when pressed. I have seen it pressed and hanging on a Christmas tree, beautiful.

Do you have any wildflowers that grow in the shade?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Rue, I have a couple of the mulliens.
The one probably the most popular is the big huge tall yellow ones....... I let that one grow because in the very beginning I thought it looks like lamb's ear, sooooooooooo soft and furry, and grey colored!!
I also have on that grows straight up in the air, has tiny white/very light pink flowers with a violet purple center and the seed pods go straight up as well and look like tiny balls going up the stem, it's so cute.. Not too tall either. ( I did get a 4pk of one too that is pink, but the wild ones do so much better)
I also bought a 4 pk of the white ones, and they are very pretty too, the only thing you do have to watch the seeds, as they get a little carried away, but I funnel them where I want them and I think they are so pretty. (and no watering really)

I do have some shade ferns, I have the fake solomens seal, wild campula's Campanula\'s they just appeared on the property.. (the stinker woodchucks gave them a hair cut once or twice) :rolleyes: eek
trilliums, Jack~n~the~pulpits, jewelweed.... touch me nots
and some pearly everlastings....
oh, I have a bunch!!!!
I'm a country girlie, from the roots to the toes!!
Weezie pearly everlastings

R
OP Offline
R
I read somewhere that the mullien leaves where used to line shoes in the olden days.

Do you have pictures of your property in a photo album anywhere on the internet?

I love wildflowers. I dig up a spot in the backyard about 4' by 6' and plant the wildflower mix you get in packs (or cans). I am always surprised by what comes up and I can have fresh cut flowers in my house all summer.

Do mulleins grow a deep lilac color also? If so I have finally figured out what is growing in the pasture.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tamara and Rue,
I am not too sure about the wild ones being purple, they very well could be in your neck of the woods, I've heard the yellow ones travel the roots of the rail road cars,
Yellow Mullien
seeds get caught along the way and travel along side.
I have lived in the area that I live in now, my whole life, and growing up, I never saw them on the hill, I never saw the yellow's one's personally growing until I moved down into town (and actually live a hop~skip~and~a~jump from R&R's.) But it was delivered I believe in a load of topsoil... Duh The other ones, the pale pink one's with violet veins through it,
pale pink verbascum\'s *Mullien*
just appeared one day, and I am a great watcher of things, and this plant caught my eye with the BB~balls seed pods growing up the stem, very cute! So I left it!
I don't have any website like the others' do,
I'm a rotten keeper of pictures, no photo album.
I have a ton on my computer/digital, but nothing set up, I keep saying I should, but, something always gets in my way.... I am still thinking about it....

Weezie

There's one more of the flower with the bubble seed pods, I'm still looking for a picture of...

R
OP Offline
R
I had a Moth Mullein just appear in my yard. I don`t pull anything until it goes through a full season.

Moth Mullein:
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=VEBL

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P165751.HTM

I have Wild Ginger that has spread in nook and crannies. I really like that sort of wild look. Even in my formal garden I have let the wildflowers move in.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Rue,
That's the one I couldn't find the picture for!!
Thankssssssssssss!!!
thumbup flw I think that is the cutest flower and plant and seed pods, I do have to be careful, because one leads to millions, but they are very delicate, neat and dry nicely..
Pretty in flower arrangements!!
Do you pick them or anything?

I don't have the yellow one, but I've seen them in catalogs.

Weezie

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know I keep saying it,
but it only takes ONE gardener
to know the answer!!
And it's sooooooooooo true!!
Thanks Again, Rue!!!
Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard