This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have an indoor asparagus fern that has never been outside, yet has some how become host to hundreds of aphids. The damage is starting to show and the only houseplant insecticide I currently have is murder on ferns. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Please... shocked

OP Offline
Please, oh, please. Won't someone help me? idea

Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
My house is infested with Lady Bugz. Ya want some? lol. J/k, i don't wana touch em >.< and mailing them would require touching them...

At the store, i found a lil tub, and read it. Turned out that inside the tub were two praying mantis pods. Whatcha do is you put em in the crotch of a plant, and when they hatch, they'll eat all bugs, spiders, and all kindsa stuff. problem is that there's HUNDREDS of them per pod o.O So ya, that may not work. They do stay in the same place however, and they eat eachother. So the population might get widdled down pretty good. But still, bugs in the house probably aren't the best idea lol.

What you can do though, is get like 5 or 6 lady bugs, and release them. They have a less chance of scaring you too much, and they'll die out eventually too. This is all i could think of >.< I don't really recommend it though lol.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Plantlady,
Will Creed and Lizheaemma come thru every so many days....
Should be here soon!
I can see if the Buglady is with in ear shot too!

Weezie

Hello.. sorry it has taken me so long.. i am off in the mountains and not getting my mail too often these days....

what kind of house plant? sure they are aphids? sometimes just washing the plant with water would be enough.. or you can use a 1% soap solution.

Good luck...

OP Offline
Thanks for your help everyone. And yes I'm sure they are aphids. I've done my homework. I just wish the little suckers weren't so hard to get rid of. wink

F
F
i used an insecticidal soap that was very harmful to my Persian Shield and Chlorophytum Fire Flash..... the next time those little suckers came back about 2 months later, I used a very mild (i think bug lady said 1%?) soapy solution. it killed all the aphids with little damage to my Persian Shield, but the FireFlash hasn't recovered too well.

i think next time they come back i will spray as many aphids off with water as i can, then lightly spray them with an even milder soapy solution.

where do they come from? mine are all indoor plants...

OP Offline
Say, that is an excellent question. I would really like to know how my strictly indoor fern got aphids. Could the soil have been contaminated?

Link Copied to Clipboard