This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25595 July 15th, 2004 at 05:18 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello! I would like to know of some plants that are purple in color or silver or whatever something different then the usual kinds? Like to add some color to my garden next year?

#25596 July 15th, 2004 at 06:32 PM
D
dot Offline
D
Hi...
I found one this year that is very pretty. It's called "Purple Lady Iresine". That's right off the tag! I purchased 2 of them on sale (as usual!) and they have done very well in partial shade. The color is deep purple, almost a burgundy, and the tag says they may trail up to 4', but mine are young so Duh .

Good luck in your search!

#25597 July 15th, 2004 at 11:19 PM
L
L
I have some relaly pretty waffle plants-their leaves are crinkly-a gorgeous deep green on top and purple underneath. They have small white flowers that shoot up.
PURPLE flowers:
Delphiniums bloom summer-autumn, You could use Lobelia as edging-teeny little purple blossoms,
Irises of course, grape hyacinth, Morning glories, wisteria, asters, my dad's hostas have lavender blossoms coming up out of the center- they look really nice, balloon flowers, Toad lilies, all kinds of lavender-many have silvery foliage, different types of sage have purple blossoms- and tricolor sage has purpley silver foliage also. Purple & white blooming butterfly bushes smile
Lamb's ears are nice and silvery. Chinese bush Cherry just looks cool....Sorry....I'm rambling shocked
Hope I was of some help- I know a lot of these are sort of basic-at least where I live.

#25598 July 16th, 2004 at 03:53 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you gardeners never knew their were so many plants or flowers that are purple? Have to check them all out and see if I like any of them? Bye and remember keep those hands of yours dirty!!

#25599 July 17th, 2004 at 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some pretty purple plants you might consider are spiderwort or persian shield (foliage) which I love with silver dusty miller or lamb's ear.

#25600 July 17th, 2004 at 07:51 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Cricket that sounds so neat persian shield and silver dusty miller? I got some dusty miller that a garderner buddy send to me and persian shield sounds real pretty together? Where did you get the persian shield from? Remember keep those hands of yours dirty bye

#25601 July 17th, 2004 at 10:29 PM
I have Mona Lavender in my flower beds, it is a deep purple plant with lighter purple blossoms. I also have two Purple Palace Coral Bells, the blooms are kinda insignificant, it is the plant that is very attractive. I also have Hardy Dwarf Asters that bloom a lavender color. Then I found my pride and joy, I love roses, and I found a Blue Girl rose, blooms a light lavender almost blue. The Butterfly bushes come in a variety of purple colors from light lavender to an almost black purple.

Hope some of this helps.

#25602 July 18th, 2004 at 02:55 PM
OK, so I must correct myself,,,, see embarassed. The Mona Lavender are a dark green plant,, real dark, with purple flowers. shocked .

#25603 July 18th, 2004 at 10:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought my Persian Shield at a local (Vancouver Island) garden center where they appear to be very popular this year. This is the first year I have seen them. They are a fast growing deep purple with carmine markings foliage plant that apparently require partial sun to shade, although mine seems to be loving full sun. Because I read that they are a tender perennial (zone 9 and warmer), I have planted mine in a pot so I can overwinter indoors - I'm in zone 8. Don't forget to keep the soil moist and good luck!

#25604 July 20th, 2004 at 06:57 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hey! frustratedattimes do you have any hardy dwarf asters seeds to share with me? Sure would like to grow some in my flower bed next spring?Bye and remember keep those hands of yours dirty!!

Link Copied to Clipboard