This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25024 January 31st, 2004 at 04:23 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Gardeners get really focused, to the exclusion of all logical brain function, sometimes......

Hollywood and I were on a gardening shopping day last summer when we spotted a grouping of some REALLY interesting succulent babies (Interesting, because we always look for odd coloration, form, etc. We both love the purples, the blues, the pinks & the opalescents). This was a group of imports that were all BRONZE! Well, we snapped up those babies...(at TOP dollar).. what an unusual addition to our growing collection!
We follow this ritual when we bring in new plants ...We go out every day and check to see how the new guys are acclimating to their new home, talk to them, give 'em a little encouragement, you know....for a coupla weeks & then they're ready for re-potting, top dressing..little pat on the head, etc.
(Now, we joke that we live in some kind of a mini-vortex, here; every new plant that comes to our garden loses all control...they almost immediately begin forming a flower or start sprouting babies...it's amazing to watch)
Welp, these new bronze plants (4 or 5 of them) did NOTHING.....Nothing! They sat in their little nursery pots looking like paintings..no action whatsoever. Wot a mystery! Were these a special breed from another continent? Another planet? They were so unusual and beautiful, and hey, we don't know everything... Duh Then one day....

A voice from the garden....."Jillie........?"
It was Hollywood, outside, bent in half, looking at the new bronze plants REALLY closely.

"Jillie, I hate to be the one to say it...."

Me..."What?"

Her.. "This unusual coloration?"

Me....."Yeah, I love it."

Her...."Well, we now have the distinction of having purchased, at a premium price.....

((drum roll))

"...plants that were already...

dead." frown frown frown

shocked

#25025 January 31st, 2004 at 04:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hmmmmm, Jillie, what kinda "tea" ya drinkin??? muggs

#25026 January 31st, 2004 at 04:41 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey, P & L..... wavey
succulent gardening is a "nat-chur-al" high...

(WARNING!.....is known to cause delusion) laugh laugh

#25027 January 31st, 2004 at 05:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh did ya save the receipt?

#25028 January 31st, 2004 at 05:30 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Awwe, Jiffy, I'd love to say we went marching back, receipt in hand, indignantly demanding money back...

I think embarassment took over....We quietly put 'em in the dumper..... frown

We consider it garden-school tuition laugh

#25029 January 31st, 2004 at 05:36 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
You have a way of telling these stories....I had my head up soooo close to the monitor waiting to see what you had....you know this cactophile.. lala

laugh laugh And at top dollar!!!! laugh laugh

I'm laughing with you Jillie/Hollywood...not at you!!! ROFL

I was waiting for a post stating what happened when you took it back!!!! shocked laugh

#25030 January 31st, 2004 at 05:45 PM
awwwwwwww Jillie...

I thought you were going to say that they were...
dare I say it???????

frown shocked plastic!!! shocked frown

What's great is that you can post about it here and give us a chuckle for the day - THANKS! laugh

#25031 January 31st, 2004 at 09:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think she should have been a writer!!!
Suspense stories,
And then,................

Something,..............

came up from behind Hollywood,

and,

get ready for this.................

it,..................

:rolleyes: grinnnn

Hey, I didn't say I knew how to write stories!! laugh

#25032 February 1st, 2004 at 02:05 AM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Catlover, thanks. thumbup I put down things just like they really happen, pregnant pauses and all. smile

Lynne, it would have been less embarassing had they been plastic. I mean, if we hadn't been in the "zone" of the big succulent quest, we'd have noticed that what we called hoity-toity "bronze" was BROWN... as in DEAD.

DUH! thumbup I only do stuff for effect and impact. You write REAL substance. I'm the goof grinnnn

#25033 February 1st, 2004 at 03:36 AM
B
B
Jillie,

LOL!!! Sounds like a LOT of 'unusual' and 'exotic' dead plants I've got too! laugh laugh

P.S. There's always next shopping trip to really get 'into the zone!'

#25034 February 1st, 2004 at 03:17 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Morning, Barb, wavey

Yep, be sure to always label the dearly departed "Bronze;" it's MUCH more pretentious than than the alternative. nutz

Can't wait for the next "zone" event. No telling what will come home with us, now. lala

#25035 February 1st, 2004 at 03:28 PM
R
R
LOL!! That is to funny!!!

That reminds me of when I was in grade school and bought a cactus that was flowering. I was so excited!

I showed my cactus flower to my aunt. She said "Oh that isn`t real. They stick those straw flowers in there to help it sell".

I showed here how the flower closed up when it got wet and opened up as it dried. She could not convince me.

After the cactus had bloomed for over a year, I thought that maybe she was right. I gave the flower a little tug and it slipped right out of a teeny tiny hole in the side of the cactus.

I was so disapointed to learn the truth.

#25036 February 1st, 2004 at 03:37 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Awe, Rue, that's so sweet.

See, even kids (who're smarter than grownups, most of the time) can be fooled sometimes. laugh

#25037 February 1st, 2004 at 04:41 PM
S
S
OMG!! That is SO funny... Sounds exactly like something I would do... thank you for the great story. Made me laugh and got my cold and rainy Sunday morning going....

Shanna
muggs

#25038 February 2nd, 2004 at 04:06 PM
B
B
Jillie,

Green. Stick with green! teech

Green is good! laugh laugh laugh

#25039 February 2nd, 2004 at 04:38 PM
Jillie Offline OP
OP Offline
Mantra:
Think green...think green...think green....think green.....Ohmmmmmmmmm.... thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard