This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24958 June 28th, 2004 at 09:18 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Well, as usual I got carried away and planted too many vegetables, but I really messed up this time. I planted lots of tomatoes in containers and faithfully fed and watered them, waiting for vacation to move them to their permanent locations. But I waited too long to do it and because the pots were so close together, I now have giant skinny plants, nearly as tall as me, with few side branches. If I trim these down from the top, will they bush out for me, or do I need to hit the gardening shop for ultra-long stakes? TONY

#24959 June 29th, 2004 at 06:14 AM
B
B
You don't say how big the containers are. If they are at least 3 gal. size, you can place a wood lathe or two inside the edge and tie your plants to the lathes for support. Then water as needed and they will produce fruit. If the containers are small, dig a trench and remove and lay the tomatoes in the trench and cover, just leaving the top 6-10" sticking out. They will develop roots all along the buried stem and will produce fruit in time for harvest. It is still early enough. When planting in the trench, I'd suggest watering with a weak miracle grow solution to reduce transplant shock. Good luck.

#24960 June 29th, 2004 at 02:42 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Big Boy for the advice. The pots are plenty big enough, so I think I'll go the support route. I just was wondering if trimming the tops some would result in more growth lower down. TONY

Link Copied to Clipboard