This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24584 April 10th, 2004 at 03:59 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I have 13 varieties of apple trees, all espaliered but one (Winter Banana). Every one has fruited except for my Esopus Spitzenberg. The trees are all 9 years old. I have been spur pruning all trees and thought maybe Spitzenberg was a tip bearer, but can find no info online that this is the case. Any ideas?

#24585 April 10th, 2004 at 05:27 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey wavey flw
HI, I just wanted to tell you, that even though I personally don't have any experience with that type of gardening, I'm pretty sure we have a few gardeners, I'm guessing, maybe Papito, might be able to help you!!!
But I would love to hear more about your garden!!

Sounds Awesome!!

How did you come about such a selection and how did you learn how to do that and IS IT HARD TO DO?
I have seen many things on it, and wondered about it!! (I'm a rotten prunner, so I didn't think I'd be able to do it)

Any how, I hope you'll enjoy our site, while someone comes thru, anyone of the gardeneres can know the answer but you have to give them a bit of time to come thru, keep checking back and enjoy the site....

We have a Recipe Section, and a Crafts and Hobbies, and Banter Hall for Chatting, alot of things to keep you busy here, There really is alot
of very nice people here and they're great to talk garden with and have alot of fun!!!

Weezie

#24586 April 12th, 2004 at 10:59 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Weezie, I didn't figure out how to send a proper reply until I had sent you a private one. Sorry about that.

#24587 April 13th, 2004 at 01:17 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
obywan,
I IM'd you!!!!
Weezie

#24588 April 13th, 2004 at 07:13 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Weezie, in response to your questions, I chose apples (and other fruits) that were described as having exceptional flavor. Esopus Spitzenberg was one of those so described. It also happened to be Thomas Jefferson's favorite apple and as I had visited Monticello ( a 2 hour drive for me) it helped make my decision easier. I also have a fig (Marseilles) that was grown by him and is still grown at Monticello.

As for pruning espaliers, it's not really that difficult. I had several books to go by, but even so, there was some trial and error involved as I modified my pruning techinques. I do mainly summer pruning to try to stimulate fruiting spurs and it seems to be working.

Link Copied to Clipboard