This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24371 August 11th, 2004 at 05:37 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a money plant...is it called a Chinese Money plant???...in the front and the little "monies" have turned tan..and some even on the black side. Does that mean that I can pick those off now??

#24372 August 12th, 2004 at 12:34 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
According to my research, you can take the fruit thingies off right now if you want. They're supposed to be dry. So ya if they're on the brown side, or even the black side, i'm gonna assume that they're dry smile

Whatcha can also do is keep the fruit on the plant, and peel them open to reveal the silky silver dollar like thingies inside them. I heard that they were very pretty!

There's a lotta names for that plant too! Money plant, Honesty, Bolbonac, Moonwort, Silver Dollar or Lunaria annua are a bunch of them!

~Phoebe

#24373 August 12th, 2004 at 01:30 AM
The black thing is the seed. If you leave it alone it will probably reseed where it is planted. If you want to save the seeds just rub the round, papery, part together and the seed will fall out.

#24374 August 18th, 2004 at 11:40 PM
L
L
I have a money tree too. I'm wondering... how often money trees flower and make seeds? Does it depend on age? Anything I can do?

If there's a seed, there's got to be a flower. How do they look like?

Sorry...I am new to money trees and they are very pretty,as well as intriguing. smile

#24375 August 19th, 2004 at 06:54 PM
B
B
The flower is purple and looks kind of like phlox. You may even see them growing wild. They're biennial, so you do need to re-seed (they self-seed if you leave them alone). Rubbing the outside papery parts off is how you get to the silvery inside. Its got two outside layers, then the seeds, then the silvery inside. They are pretty, but time-consuming to do. They also get tangled together easily! However, once its done, they keep nicely in a vase for years. I even use some as a swag over a window. I kept mine going until this year because I plan to use them at my daughter's bridal shower next year. I think I won't plant them again for a while--too messy at this seed stage.

#24376 August 20th, 2004 at 06:23 PM
[Linked Image]

The purple flower thing is money plant. The flowers turn to white, round, paperlike, things that will have a black, round seed inside them. Just rub the paper stuff together and the seed will fall out.

Link Copied to Clipboard