This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24157 November 12th, 2004 at 09:34 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I purchased some lemon grass at a botanic garden sale a few weeks ago. It seems to be growing OK but when the leaves get too long they're turning brown.

I've never grown lemon grass before and just bought it because I like to cook Asian food and it's hard to find at the store.

Any ideas on how to care for this plant.

thanks

#24158 November 12th, 2004 at 09:10 PM
P
P
CYMBOPOGON citratus, Lemon Grass.

Lemon grass is a perennial, prefers full sun and regular watering. All parts of the plant are strongly lemon-scented and are widely used as an ingredient in southeast asian cooking.

It is normal for older leaves to turn brown. Just cut them off and put them in the trash.

We grow them in containers. To me it is one of the herbs that's easiest to grow.

#24159 November 15th, 2004 at 07:49 PM
If you live in a frost free area , you can grow this plant outside. I planted mine outside in zone 9 and it grew to be about 3 feet tall or you can grow it in a large pot as if you want a big plant grow in a big pot as the leaves will turn brown from small pots and too much water or too little water. It is a grass and it can get rootbound and needs the same water care and light.
If you like Thai foods and have a Thai grocery store close,check out the lemon grass there as thats where I got my start from a small sprig of grass that had a root on the end, I also got Ginger and started it.

Link Copied to Clipboard