This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23783 February 17th, 2004 at 08:19 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
There has been talk about interplanting and through the links there has been talk about succession planting. This leads me into my next question.

I have heard because of diseases etc. that crops should be rotated. For example that Tomatoes should not be planted in the same holes for a couple years and that certain crops are related and should not be placed in the same area after other crops etc. Want to make maximum use of succession without transferring a lot of diseases/fungus etc. Don't plant what??? after planting ??? til one/two/three years later. Hope I am making sense!!!

Does someone have a complete list of veggie crop rotation that they can share? Duh
Thanks in advance Catlover kit

#23784 February 17th, 2004 at 09:04 PM
R
R
If you're planting in single crops, rotation can be as simple as: Grow heavy feeders, followed by light feeders, followed by a cover crop, then repeat. Interplanting can complicate this. I often grow early crops in a block, then follow those with a late cover crop, which remains until late spring. Then I plant heavy feeders. Often when interplanting, you'll have heavy feeders combined with legumes and root crops in the same beds. I find it easiest to rotate blocks, with some form of cover crop being grown in each area every 4-5 years. If your soil isn't good, cover crop it more often. The type of ideas that help in the short term are to follow early peas and salads with main season tomatoes or cole crops. As the peas die, the nitrogen they've accumulated will become available to the next crop.
Rick

#23785 February 17th, 2004 at 09:16 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Rick I think your misunderstanding what I am trying to ask....I am probably not asking the right ?. I understand the interplanting and succession/cover crops/nitrogen etc....but the rotation of crops for disease purposes. For example some crops are in the same family and cannot be planted in succession....what are the grouping???? Tomatoes are in the same family with ????, beans are in the same family as???? etc, etc. Is that any clearer? Sorry, I know what I want to say but cannot convey it.

#23786 February 17th, 2004 at 09:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen,
Do you mean,
potatoes shouldn't follow Tomatoes,
or anything that the cabbage worm likes, shouldn't be planted in the same hole??

Weezie

#23787 February 17th, 2004 at 10:22 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Yes, yes, yes....that is exactly what I am looking for....but I am mainly concerned about transferring the diseases/fungus's etc from the soil.

Now with Weezie's help does anybody have a list????

Catlover

#23788 February 17th, 2004 at 11:12 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You were just talking with your left hand
instead of your right hand Karen,
luckily I understand left hand!!! LOL
BIG GRIN grinnnn AND A WINK~WINK!!! wink wink

Weezie

#23789 February 17th, 2004 at 11:32 PM
P
P