This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23576 September 27th, 2004 at 11:53 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I am starting my very first garden...YAY! I am just now beginning to dig up the soil. There are several large roots that I have come across. What is the best way to deal with this especially to be sure they do not interfere with my plants.

Also, how far should I dig down to. I have dug down about a foot and found an over abundance of roots and rocks.

I have started a small compost pile, but it seems that I need it to start planting. Can I buy the 'compost mixture' somewhere? Is there something else I can use?

I think that's all for now.

#23577 September 29th, 2004 at 06:48 AM
Hi Heidi! I don't know about the roots, I think I'm gonna be in the same situation myself in a few weeks.
But you should be able to buy compost at any major garden center or big-box home store like Home Depot, etc.

#23578 September 29th, 2004 at 03:46 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Geegeeburr's right on, yes, you can get some bagged compost.....something like this is better
than absolutely nothing....some seem to be quite good!!!

Sometimes I suggest this link, Composting
It contains some info on Lasgana Gardening in it.
It can give you some help as to making the ground
a bit more plyable...and maybe not up root the roots, but plant up and on top of the roots...
as long as it doesn't kill the trees??
**What kind of trees are there???**
And if affordable do some raised beds, I have them and am NOT SORRY I have them, I LOVE them, no bending, and a place to sit while planting, weeding, and the roots are right there at a perfect heighth for watering...

but either way you do it, I have them all different ways for gardening, the raised beds are for my vegetables, the other style of gardening for perennial beds were all started with the lasgna style method to start the bottom of the beds.... some were raised just a bit some not.

Weezie

#23579 October 1st, 2004 at 04:41 AM
good for you!! did it feel good to break ground? thumbup

yes you will run into roots and rock..but the good thing is that when they are gone..they are gone. generally you can cut through roots..as long as they arent too big, and that there isnt a tree or shrub too close that they might suffer. i forked my garden space in a small grid pattern..the whole thing..three times. for a veggie garden..it is a very good idea to do so. all your root veggies will thank you if you give them nice plyable soil to grow into. take your time..this is one thing you only have to do once...so it is worth the sweat.

i too LOVE raised beds. they are neat, clean, soo easy to trun around..and yes..if you have mobility problems..it is neccasary. i have a mixture of raised beds, beds and containers for my veggie gardnening.

for composting...congrats by the way. composting is such a valuable and resourceful method of gardeing..i wouldnt have one without the other. i have mentioned that i have a landscaping co., and i have talked about 75% of my clients into composting, and we all benifit. i have a three bin system, which i built myself. it stared off as one..then when it was rimming, i made a second..turned the first into the second..and stared filling the first again. and when the first was full, i turned the second into the third, and the first into the second. and when the first was filled AGAIN...well...my third was done..and they all could be flipped!! HAHAHA..i am sooo long winded..sorry...but you get the picture. the end result is one of the most benifical ingredients you can enrich your gardens with. the important thing is that you keep large stick..or any thing that looks hard to break down. you should try to cut things up..as this will speed up the procces. the smaller the chunks..the better. i always cut my watermelon rinds..for example.. The best thing to keep in mind is having a good ratio of carbon and nitrogen in the bin. too much of one can cause problems.the carbon end of things are items like leaves or straw, and the nitrogen are grass or kitchen scraps. if you have too much nitrogen..you will start to have an odor..soo add a bunch of leaves to balance it. Composting is a science..so i wont get into it..but it is worth researching!

as for what to plant..there are great deals in the nursery now..because they charge soo much more for things which are in bloom..so now is a good time to pick up nice perennials for cheap. but sometimes it is easier to vision the garedn when the plants are looking good..so it doesnt matter. you have a wee bit to go before the hard frosts to plant. i am planting garlic now to be ready next summer, and of course..all my spring bulbs are gonna be planted soon. i am doing a BIG show this year. hehehe...nothing like spring flowers!

well..good luck, and keep us posted.

Link Copied to Clipboard