This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23135 October 12th, 2004 at 08:30 PM
R
RMO Offline OP
OP Offline
R
IM IN OHIO, ITS OCT. I WANT TO KNOW HOW AND IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO START GREEN pepper seeds NOW INDOORS AND HAVE RED,YELLOW,ORANGE peppers THROUGH WINTER. THEY ARE SO EXSPENSIVE TO BUY AND I HAVE TONS OF seed. ANY HELP OR TIPS WOULD BE GREAT.
THANX

#23136 October 13th, 2004 at 04:18 AM
i know what you mean about peppers being expensive, and i too wish i could grow them all year round.

i do know that they need adequite light and heat, and i am pretty positive that a window wouldnt provide enough of either. there is the option of artificial lighting, but how bright, i am not sure. if you had a big ol window frame, and placed a grow light and perhaps a heating mat, this might be enough to get 'em going.

good luck, i hope someone will provide you with a key to make it possible..and please let us know if you find one!

#23137 October 16th, 2004 at 10:08 AM
R
RMO Offline OP
OP Offline
R
DO YOU THINK MAYBE A SMALL HEATED green house WOULD DO THE TRICK? OR IS THERE NO SUCH THING?
THANX

#23138 October 16th, 2004 at 02:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you can grow almost anything in a small heated green house. do a forum search on harbor freight and/or green houses and you can see the one that weezie got. it's cool!

#23139 October 17th, 2004 at 05:20 PM
thumbup

#23140 October 17th, 2004 at 05:40 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I cool gab crit

Weezie

#23141 October 18th, 2004 at 07:08 PM
RMO,

Yes you can grow peppers indoors and as stated above you need lots of light. I started 13 varieties of peppers a couple weeks ago and they are starting to sprout now as I didnt have them in enough heat/light initially. I am hoping to get lots of peppers this winter but if not then outdoors they will go come spring and have a headstart on the growing season.

peppers can be annual plants and grown year round which is something I am just learning about. If you have peppers outdoors you can put them in pots and overwinter them inside and while some will have a period of time where they are resting, and appear to be dying, be patient and they will come back. I have a Jalapeno and Serrano growing in the basement right now and the Serrano has not stopped producing and the Jalepeno does have new flowers about to bloom. They do have to be hand pollunated to bear fruit.

I am hoping to have much success with my peppers this winter and hope you do as well.

Triss

Link Copied to Clipboard