This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22638 November 2nd, 2004 at 07:46 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone know if adding about a foot of dirt along the base of a bunch of VERY well-established and old Cape Honeysuckles will hurt them? Obviously, it would cover the bottom foot of the plants, which will be trimmed at the time to a height of about 6 feet. I pretty much HAVE to add the dirt, because I HAVE to level my yard, so I'm putting all the extra dirt behind a new retaining wall where these honeysuckles are. I don't want to hurt them, but MUST keep the water from pooling next to the house.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

#22639 November 3rd, 2004 at 01:26 PM
Hi GG, generally, if you cover the base of a plant with soil, or even a damp mulch, you can cause collar rot. This is basically the bark getting too moist and fungi, whatever gets to it and it rots. You could possibly put a small retainer around the individual plants to stop the soil from actually touching the trees. I'm thinking along the lines of a foot of 8" PVC pipe, split down one side, (to get it on) and placed around the base of the trees. Not sure if it'd work but i'd bet if you bury the plants base you'll get the collar rot.

#22640 November 3rd, 2004 at 11:36 PM
OP Offline
Hey Longy! Thanks for the info. The PVC pipe sounds like a good idea, and something I could do. Thx again. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard