This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22075 February 5th, 2004 at 04:21 AM
OP Offline
Just thought the great people on this board would be interested in an update on a few questions I asked before !

First about my daughter and her mystery plant, which was identified here thumbup as a kalanchoe: she's been careful with the watering and has started cautiously pruning it, and it's doing great. She was so pleased by the whole thing that she went out and bought herself a spider plant !

My Fittonia is also doing great since I enclosed it in a small hexagon aquarium: with the added humidity it's been transformed into a whole new plant, growing in leaps and bounds.

About that Schefflera cutting I asked about: I looked at it today and saw a whole slew of little white roots growing along the length of the stem, so I'm confident it will be ready for its own pot in a few weeks. Great, a new plant !

And finally, those spider mites on my arrowhead vine have vacated the place - again, thanks to the great advice of the members of this board.

A great big thank you to everyone, your help was appreciated by me and my plants !

#22076 February 5th, 2004 at 05:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup great to hear crabby thumbup thanks for letting us know. it is always good to get feedback!

#22077 February 5th, 2004 at 05:59 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Watch out, you two have green thumbs now wavey

#22078 February 5th, 2004 at 06:15 PM
OP Offline
Catlover is asking, what kind of plant am I planning on getting next ?...

All of them !!!! laugh

Seriously though, I've got a list... Spider plant, Wandering jew, Chinese Evergreen... I had a GoldDust Dracaena on that list also, but a few days ago I was at the grocery store with hubby and spotted a couple of them near the entrance... I made a bee-line for them as if they had called me, and hubby sighed and said, oh all right, you can buy it...

I've got my heart set on a nice Sanseveria also, but from what I've been reading they need warmth, and I'd get in trouble with it next winter. I also saw a nice variety of Dieffenbachia the other day... cream colored leaves with just a thin green border. The plant itself was nearly dead though, but I'll keep my eyes opened for a better specimen.

Funny thing... we're in February and we just had a snowstorm yesterday, yet my plants have suddenly begun growing like mad, sprouting new leaves and shooting up. They obviously don't care what the calendar is saying - THEY'RE saying it's spring ! ( Don't I wish... )

#22079 February 5th, 2004 at 06:28 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
laugh thumbup

Do you ALWAYS go shopping with your husband! grinnnn

If not... it may give him a reason to help shop more often laugh ....you may come home with a car full of plants!!!! grinnnn

#22080 February 5th, 2004 at 07:06 PM
OP Offline
Considering hubby is the driver, I guess I don't have much of a choice if I want to go snoop at that nice plant store which is a few miles from where I live Duh

There is a place within walking distance where they sell plants, but only during spring/summer. And let's admit it, I may have made hubby a bigger villain than he really is - he's not against me getting more plants, he's just begging me to wait until spring !

#22081 February 5th, 2004 at 07:11 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
grinnnn My hubby just rolls his eyes...though I did just see a hawaiian spider plant in a store, and he said ' ewww, you're not gonna get that, are you? It's ugly...' :p You better believe if it's still there today, it's mine!!! laugh

What kind of spider plant are you looking for? I may be able to help you out... lala

#22082 February 5th, 2004 at 09:53 PM
OP Offline
Hawaiian Spider plant ?... Now you've got me interested...

A few years back I was in somebody's home, and they had about a dozen spider plants... big ones, huge they were with very long ( nearly 24" ) leaves in a nice bright green shade with white edging. The babies were incredible also, there were at least 10 "streams" coming out of each plant, each of them covered from top to bottom with babies. Awesome plants they were...

Unfortunately right now, all I can find in stores are the skinny, anemic, short-leaved spiders in the more usual color. I'm hoping that come spring I'll find a bit more of a selection.

Go right ahead and buy that plant ! There's very often a kind of unexpected beauty in ugliness.

#22083 February 6th, 2004 at 02:10 AM
A
A
This may sound silly and just wierd but I just accedently erased everything I wrote some how. I'm just too tired... zzzzz
so I will rewrite tomorow. good night and hello fellow canadian Canadian CrabGrass. confused

#22084 February 6th, 2004 at 04:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Crabby,
Yes, THANK~YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATES!!!
We appreciate it!!
We all love to garden, and talk garden and garden and talk and garden some more,

But it's always sooooooooooo nice for all of our
efforts in helping people help their plants,
that not only did the plant survive for our efforts, (or maybe not kissies cool thumbup flw Weezie

#22085 February 6th, 2004 at 04:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Apples,
I do that to myself every now and again too!!!
Weezie

#22086 February 6th, 2004 at 05:00 AM
Ok, what is a Hawaiian Spider plant? does anyone have a photo?

#22087 February 6th, 2004 at 05:06 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Duh

#22088 February 6th, 2004 at 06:40 PM
OP Offline
Is this the plant you're talking about, barleychown ?

Spider Plants

Bottom picture on the right...

If so, that would be a beautiful addition to your collection !

#22089 February 6th, 2004 at 08:37 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
....all I see is "page cannot be displayed" grrrr....I wanna see it.

#22090 February 6th, 2004 at 08:45 PM
Me too... but I figured it out. Looks like they changed their site name...try this...

spider plant gallery

What a pretty plant! Barley, did you go back and get it??

#22091 February 6th, 2004 at 10:27 PM
Ohhh! I have babies from one of the hawaiian spiders! I was at Canadian Tire a couple weeks ago looking at plants and a couple of babies just...um...fell right of the momma plant as aI was looking at it! shocked So I brought them home and they seem to be doing really well. I didn't know what kind of a spider they were though!

#22092 February 7th, 2004 at 01:35 AM
A
A
Hello again! here's what I wrote.
I to am new to the plant world and in three months my rooms been filled with them, 18 about not including the tiny bonzai cuttings which is alot more Duh

#22093 February 8th, 2004 at 12:26 AM
A
A
Most of my spider plants are doing well, little off color due to low light, but they are coming back as the daylight does.

How often do they like to be repotted?

Aurorastreams

#22094 February 8th, 2004 at 12:51 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Spider plants can go many years before they need repotting....but once you feel it has outgrown it's pot...transplant it in the spring. I think I had mine in the same pot for about 5 years before I got it a bigger home.

#22095 February 8th, 2004 at 12:52 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
That second link works great! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard