This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21774 November 22nd, 2004 at 04:31 PM
J
Jason Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was given a couple of Banan trees in the spring that have since grown and multiplied like mad. I was told that I should dig these up and move them into the garage for the winter. At the same time I have found conflicting stories online. I really need to do it this week. If they are to be moved in, how do I do this? Cut back and dig?

#21775 November 22nd, 2004 at 06:46 PM
A soggy welcome from soth TX welcome to the forum. wavey

some varieties cannot take cold temps below 40.I don't know what kind you have.so going on the posibilty the person who gave them too you KNEW your conditions by saying "dig in winter".they go semi dormant in winter.they stop growing or slow down growth below 50s& some 40s.if have greenhouse can provide bright light and grow on but water less letting dry completely between waterings.or can dig and wrap roots in burlap and store in cool dark place,but not freezeing temps.if parent has pups dig leaveing pups attached to parent and then in spring can seperate pups from parent.they will get nourishment from parent over the winter being attached.
Hope that helps.I have hardy ones which stay in ground.you can look at Ty Ty nursery online.they sell lots of bananas and show pics of all they grow and have the grow info and maybe you would recegnize your banana from their site.also gives blooming& fruiting info.

#21776 November 22nd, 2004 at 07:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hi jason, welcome to the garden helper. i just wanted to let you know that i am moving your quesiton to the plants & flowers section so that it can be seen by all who look there.

#21777 November 23rd, 2004 at 07:43 PM
J
Jason Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I am however left with another question. Do I chop the stalk back?. I had seen a listing somewhere online but was unable to find the whole article. It mentioned chopping the stalk back then digging. It makes sense and will save a lot of space in the garage. This may seem like a stupid question, but I have never had a banana tree before. To chop or not to chop? That is the question.

#21778 November 26th, 2004 at 06:45 PM
I don't chop mine.I remove the damaged leaves in spring.if you chop you chop to where the leaves grow& will re emerge in spring.and will be normal for water to oozze from where cut.

#21779 November 29th, 2004 at 05:12 AM
just cut the leves off dont chop the stalk it will grow again in the spring when you replant them.if you chop them off you will make the short leave it tall.store them some where that will not get below freezing as this will kill the plant.also set root system in a box after raping them.this works great for me. hope this helps you.

Link Copied to Clipboard