This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21392 July 8th, 2004 at 08:47 PM
OP Offline
I just found this in an older gardening book. If you have ever made "Wet Potpourri", what were your results? Duh good or bad? I haven't tried it yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had....

"Potpourri made by the wet method contains rose petals and the petals of any other fragrant flower that are available. These are spread on cloths or papers to dry out partially. They are then packed in an earthenware jar with layers of table salt or coarse salt between. Add a layer of petals, then a sprinkling of salt, until the jar is filled. One oz. or orrisroot or violet powder is added, and, if desired, some cloves, allspice and cinnamon. Put a weight on the petals and let them stand in the jar, covered, for several weeks before mixing. In addition to rose petals, lavender, lemon-verbena leaves, and geranium leaves are the most commonly used ingredients."

#21393 July 9th, 2004 at 05:54 PM
Ya know I've never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea. smile If you go ahead with it, keep us here posted! thumbup

#21394 July 25th, 2004 at 09:39 PM
My daughters and I make potpourri this way. It is as easy as it sounds and the perfume is more intense than dry. It does take awhile to cure but man oh man! We have some that is three years old and is as strong as when we made it.

#21395 July 25th, 2004 at 11:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That sounds really cool! I'm gonna have to try it,cause I've got tons of rose petals that I can use.
What is orris root and where could I buy it and violet powder?

Thanks grinnnn

#21396 July 26th, 2004 at 03:28 PM
Orris root is dried iris root. It is extremely hard, but you can buy in in power form. It is a fixive and hold the oil. You can buy it from any store that sells herbs-I have a favorite store that I buy from but I am not sure if you can name the store here? Is that allowed?

Link Copied to Clipboard