This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21320 September 20th, 2004 at 06:57 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I have several holley bushes of different varieties that have grown into gigantic proportions (10-12 ft tall, 10 ft wide) and they
need to be trimmed (or removed).

Is it possible to drastically trim these trees?
Or would it kill them?

One of the problems is the leaves are on the outermost part of the bushes. If I trim them more
than a couple of inches all that is left are the
bare branches.

It's late September now and I live in northern N.J.

Thanks.

#21321 September 20th, 2004 at 08:11 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Joe and welcome to The Garden Helper wavey

Sorry, I don't know anything about Holly bush/tree...but I wanted to let you know I am moving your topic to plants and flowers and see if we can get an answer sooner.
Catlover kit

#21322 September 20th, 2004 at 10:35 PM
A
A
Well Holly (Ilex) covers several hundred species and hybrids so this is a rather generic answer. While in general Ilex will respond to rather harsh pruning, it sounds to me more like a case of the wrong plant in the spot. I would suggest if you want the mature size to be less than 15% or so of the size that it is now then it seems removal would make sence. It is true that Ilex is a plant that generally can be kept smaller than its natural size fairly easily by regular pruning, once they get WAY out of hand the work involved and varried results generally dont justify the effort. Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard