This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21266 November 8th, 2004 at 09:18 PM
OP Offline
Hi All,
Some of my plants have mold on the top. sca No matter how I clean it up it's still there later. I don't water my plants on top usually from the dish under the pot. Will the mold hurt my plants if I don't get it out? What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks Rosepetal smile

#21267 November 8th, 2004 at 09:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your best bet would probably be to dispose of all the potting soil in the affected plants. Rinse the roots well(wash the pot too) and repot with new potting soil.

Anybody else have any ideas?

G-Mom grinnnn

#21268 November 8th, 2004 at 10:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i know you said that you were watering from the bottom, and that may be your problem. mold will only grow where it has a steady, constant supply of water. you really need to let your plants dry a little more between waterings. that is the only sure way to elimanate the mold.

#21269 November 10th, 2004 at 10:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rosepetal,

The white stuff you see on the surface of the soil may not be mold at all. When you water from the bottom, the water wicks up and deposits minerals in the soil on the surface creating a white, slightly crusty appearance. Mold is softer and sometimes thread-like in appearance.

I suggest that you learn to water from the top. It is generally better for the plant.

#21270 November 11th, 2004 at 12:01 AM
OP Offline
HI smile
Thanks millions for your info'. I'm going to try watering from the top with those plants that I have a problem with. If its still not good I'll take the other advice about cleaning out the complete pot, soil and all. Sure appreciate your knowledge. You've been a help more then once.
Rosepetal thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard