This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21237 March 4th, 2004 at 05:31 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Can anyone tell me if Dracaenas are poisonous to cats? My daughter has a kit who is a great explorer and misses nothing. She is keeping the two apart until she finds out if the plant will hurt the cat. Thanks

#21238 March 4th, 2004 at 06:29 AM
Well, here's my experience...

One of my parrots recently decided that my dracaena marginata needed a bit of trimming, and by the time I realized what was happening he had torn and chewed about a dozen leaves.

That was about a week ago. The parrot is fine. I wish I could say the same about my plant. laugh

#21239 March 4th, 2004 at 07:33 PM
P
P
How about growing weeds in a pot inside the house just for the cat?

Watch out for these plants:

Plants Poisonous to Cats

#21240 March 4th, 2004 at 08:21 PM
How strange... I guess cats must have quite a different digestive system than birds because I read through that list and they have both dracaena and pothos as being poisonous to cats. The parrot that trimmed down my d.marginata did the same a few years back to a pothos that was a wee bit too close to his cage, and to this day he's fine, really he is...

I also watched a macaw totally demolish a 6' tall dracaena - I mean destroy it, leaves and stems right down to the soil - over a period of about a month, without any ill effect.

I'll have to direct my daughter to that list - she has a cat and I wouldn't want anything to happen to it !

#21241 March 4th, 2004 at 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nancy, my cat got a hold of my dracaena one time, decided that she didn't like it, and hasn't been back. at most, she will bat at the leaves and shred them by playing. now, i have had about 4 different kinds of dracaenas, over the last 7 years, and i have had the cat 7 years. doesn't seem to matter which kind. she just leaves them alone.

#21242 March 5th, 2004 at 03:44 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Hi Nancy wavey

May I suggest a real cat delicacy for your daughter's cat? They love wheat and oat grass! Here are a couple of links, one is a how-to, the other tells about types of grass. Perhaps this may keep the cat away from your daughter's other plants.

How-to

Catgrass

Hope this helps!

#21243 March 11th, 2004 at 01:03 PM
My cat goes right for my dracaena which is in a dish garden. I had to put it on top of the fridge to keep her away until i can put it in the breezeway when the weather gets nicer. The dracaena is the first plant she goes for if she can reach it. I have read that they are poisonous to cats and dogs. So for the sake of my cat as well as the plant I just keep it away from her. I wonder what makes her go for certain plants as opposed to others though. I have an Ivy plant in the bathroom (which isn't doing well) and she doesn't bother it at all. Duh

Link Copied to Clipboard