This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21203 October 16th, 2004 at 12:52 AM
L
Lily789 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Last spring I planted 6 Asiatic lily bulbs in a big pot. They never grew a single leaf or stem or anything. I did not see anything poke out of the soil surface. Soon summer came and there still was nothing. I decided to check them--and I found that though there were no stems/leaves, there were some roots. The bulbs looked fat and plump. Well, at least they were growing "something"!

Today, I checked again. I dug and dug, and there were no bulbs. Finally, I hit some nice white roots. However, there were no bulbs! I dumped the pot upside-down and checked the soil. There was a tangle of white roots, not attached to anything. There were no bulbs! Nothing. Not even a rotten shell which would have indicated that the bulbs rotted. It's like the bulbs suddenly disappeared into thin air. ters frown

What happened to them? I guess some squirrels or mice, but do they eat bulbs? If so, how should I keep them away from my bulbs?

#21204 October 18th, 2004 at 06:13 PM
A
A
Lilies can be planted in either fall or spring and will flower if they are of mature size. They don't need a cold period to bloom.

Your culprit may have been a vole...they love lily bulbs and can even tunnel up through the hole in the pot if it is big enough and the pot in sitting on the ground.

Link Copied to Clipboard