This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21077 December 31st, 2003 at 06:21 PM
evie Offline OP
OP Offline
I have several great jade plants that have somehow managed to survive my neglect! I am wondering what the roots or hairs are that hang from the branches. Is it trying to tell me that it wants more room.

#21078 December 31st, 2003 at 07:07 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Welcome To The Garden Helper Evie wavey

I have a couple Jades that live outside but have never run into this kinda of case before....there should be somebody by shortly.....It is holiday season so some are off doing there thing but hold on somebody will be by to help! You may get a lot more than one answer so come back periodically to check!

wavey

#21079 December 31st, 2003 at 07:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
evie, if your jade has roots or "hair" on the branches, all that indicates is that if you were to put soil near them, they would root and become new plants. If you cut off one of the branches just below the roots, you can put in directly into a pot and it will grow. I wouldn't repot the mother plant due to the roots, we have one in the office across the hall that is 8 years old (or older) and every limb has those hairs...

#21080 December 31st, 2003 at 09:06 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Evie,
Jiffy's right on the money with that info!!!!! thumbup thumbup
The only other tid bit of info I'd offer
is the individual leaflets also do the
same thing, if one falls off,
or you gentley pull it off it will also
grow from the base of bottom of the jade's leaf..
A very easy plant to grow...
Also, to my understanding, Jade's really like to be root bound so leave the momma there like Jiffy said....
Will Creed comes through from time to time and he may be able to offer additional information about them to help your further...???

Weezie

#21081 January 6th, 2004 at 07:37 AM
evie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the help!!
My two daughters and I just spent a nice evening playing in cactus dirt and potting some of the babies. They just finished a beginning college horticulture class, so their enthusiasm is high.
I have a feeling that we should have waited until spring (it's -5 now!).

Does anyone know if we should keep the roots wet until they start growing??

Thanks,
Evie

#21082 January 6th, 2004 at 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
evie, treat it like the adults. water when dry, otherwise, leave it alone and enjoy it!

#21083 January 8th, 2004 at 07:23 PM
evie Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
evie, treat it like the adults. water when dry, otherwise, leave it alone and enjoy it!
Thanks for jade help.

Should I close a topic when I feel that I have the answer? That is, if I was the one that opened it.

Evie

#21084 January 8th, 2004 at 07:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
evie, i wouldn't, just because a lot of times, others will see a topic they need more information on and add to the original question.
also, i am not sure if members can close a topic anyway.

Link Copied to Clipboard