This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20817 December 12th, 2003 at 03:24 AM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
wondering who all does a cold greenhouse set up...guess won't be anyone up past zone 6 do that though.I'm a zone 8b so not too bad tem wise when we do dip down is not very long usually maybe 4-6 hours if that.would be done with greenhouse film& undecided on wood or aluminum frame.humidity would break down wood after awhile

#20818 February 8th, 2004 at 07:23 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Thought I would bring this back up to the top and see if anyone had any thoughts!

#20819 February 16th, 2004 at 07:14 PM
L
L
I do a cold greenhouse I start all my seeds in the basement under lights and use my greenhouse as a cold frame Its nice through the day but at night I use a Hurricane light it gives off enough heat for the greenhouse to stay above freezing
Worked well for the past 5years
I use a 8x8x6-6high "EASY-UP" heavy-duty polyethylene greenhouse and I live in zone 4
Limey

#20820 April 13th, 2004 at 07:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Limey, I'm pullin' this back up for a reason.
#1. You said,
I use a Hurricane light it gives off enough heat for the greenhouse to stay above freezing
What's a Hurrican Light????????????

#2. You said,
heavy-duty polyethylene
Is that stuff available to buy, or
did it come on the frame already.... Someone has asked a question about a hoop house, wasn't sure if you knew the answer...

#3. How big are your seeds already????
I talked to Big Boy and he said his are 3" high,
(I am behind in my seed starting aren't I??)

But it's been so cold here and I did get a little green house, but I can't see putting the seeds in there until it's way higher than 35*'s!!!

Weezie

Hey Lynne,
Did you get something for your area yet that you posted about in this thread??????? Just wondering.

#20821 April 13th, 2004 at 07:58 PM
I do a cold frame. This was my first year & I was very happy with it. Being a zone5er it sure is nice to get an early start & extend the growing season a little. My cold frame consists of an aluminum frame, more or less a portable car port frame covered in 2 layers of 6 mil poly film. I started my seeds a month earlier than usual with great germination results. I have had to use a small ceramic heater to keep the temps up during the month of march, but there hasn't been heat in there since & all is well. I have nice big thriving plants to stick into the ground as soon as temps stay consistantly warm around here. This will be the first year I haven't had to start from seed at the end of May & the first year the nursery won't be taking my cash for plants lol:)

My husband has finally agreed to build me a full on heated greenhouse this summer, so next year will be the happiest gardening year of my life & I just can't wait. We are going to rennovate a large wooden shed, more like a small garage, into my greenhouse. He is going to remove the roof & then half way down the walls all of the siding. We are covering with polycarbonate panels & leaving a knee wall. I simply can't wait. I am so ready to light a fire under his bottom & get him out there & started.

Good luck to you!

Make Your Greenhouse Efficient in All Seasons

#20822 April 13th, 2004 at 08:09 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Weezie Charleys greenhouse has the film shes talking aboutis a thickness to it have felt it up at meldas.theyb way her hubby explained it is it still breathes but keeps the moisture in.you need to get charelys greenhouse catalog and hide all the prices and read the info.even mention useing bubblewrap for more insulation& metions adding insulation on north side.
I'm haveing hubby set the arbor thiong my hamock was on beside gardening shed and will use some of the plastic stuff on outside of it next year& use an old screen door we have on top of rood for a door and use as greenhouse next yr.I have 4 grw light bulbs& one heat light from my iguanna days.I believe up in your area you'd need a heater in yoursI get cold a few hours then hit the 50s60s in the day in winter.....you hit cold.....and stay there for MONTHS!you might look into useing heated water pipes to help keep it warm.I don't have my files no more so will have 2 do a search when back from vacation.but do like that greenhouse you got

Link Copied to Clipboard