This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20566 October 20th, 2004 at 06:09 AM
G
glam70s Offline OP
OP Offline
G
my boyfriend and I just bought meyers lemon tree.. It had no tag or id when we bought it, I wanted it because it's covered in delicious smelling flowers smile

Now I know it's a lemon tree, and from research I know that it's a hybrid.. One site said that you should remove all the fruit green for the first two years to promote best growth.. Is that true? I'd rather the tree not get to 12' tall, as I live in Ontario Canada I can't exactly plant it outside.. Is there any other reason I should not let it ripen its fruit this time? I've been told by someone with experience that it's between 1 and 2 years old..

Thanks for any help smile

#20567 October 20th, 2004 at 10:30 AM
The reason people suggest to remove young fruit in the first couple of years of citrus is to allow the young tree to put its' energy into developing a good strong root system, thus creating a more healthy tree. It's a lot of work for a little tree to produce fruit. Allowing the roots to develop gives the tree a better start.
It's up to you if you do it or not.

#20568 October 20th, 2004 at 05:14 PM
G
glam70s Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks, that what I needed to know smile I will take off the fruit then this time (or at least most of it - I might have to leave one just out of curiosity) I want the little guy to be as healthy as he can.. When we got him we noticed that he was also covered in citricola scales (now gone) but I can't imagine that that helped much either...

Link Copied to Clipboard