This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20487 May 23rd, 2004 at 09:07 AM
D
OP Offline
D
here in nevada the zucs are growing really well,but should i cut off the feaves that are drying out ? i am getting new growth.

#20488 May 25th, 2004 at 05:32 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Dingerlily, wavey flw
Hello, and Welcome!

Question?????
What do you mean that the leaves are drying out?

Does the plant look like it's dying???

You said you've got new growth too????

Are your plants producing???

Those leaves that are drying out maybe just the original leaves that were first on the plant....

As long as the plant basically looks healthy, and you're getting newer leaves, and it's producing, it sounds like your plants ok!

If it's just an "ugly" issue, probably ok to pull them off, I don't handle my plants too much.
Sometimes I feel when you manipulate the plants it weakens them??? My own thoughts on it....

What do you do with your Zucchini's may I ask???
We have some recipe's here Does anyone have recipes for food from your garden??
Some to grill, some for bread's, etc.

Let us know how you're plants are doing??? crit

Weezie

#20489 May 25th, 2004 at 01:18 PM
H
H
Dangerlily, I'd leave them alone unless I was worried about disease.

Weezie, my zucchini plants are pretty normal, in that they seem to grow zucchini to 12" overnight. I take my larger ones, cut them lengthwise, hollow out the seeds, and stuff them with sausage. Top them with spaghetti sauce and bake at 350 for about an hour. Melt cheese over the top and enjoy. Not really a "recipe", but it tastes yummy.

Nita

#20490 May 26th, 2004 at 12:49 PM
J
Jon Offline
J
Looks over the hump and sees --- -

Hello Dingerlily!!! Hello from Pahrump (ah now the comment about the hump makes sense - "over the hump to Pahrump" wavey )

You'll like this board, I think. Welcome.

On the zucchini. Last year had a lot more of my leaves that looked dead and then between the rabbits and the heat - lost them. This year, I used a bit of soil sulpher and bone meal and they are looking beautiful! They each will assist in lowering the ph of our soil to better levels for the plant. Also the soil sulpher assists the plant in other ways, while the bone meal assists in root development and fighting the affects of our heat.

You can get the soil sulpher at Star Nursery - I really like the one on Eastern just north of the 215. The other nurseries in town should have it too. Bone meal can be bought all over -- but WalMart has the best price - I think.

What part of town are you in? I work in town - so over the hump at least 4 days a week (4 10's).

Jon

#20491 May 27th, 2004 at 02:49 AM
D
OP Offline
D
kissies thanks so much for answering my question! the zucchini is just growing fine but now the real heat is starting.so i will see how things go thanks again

#20492 May 27th, 2004 at 03:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Dingerlily,
Please keep us posted as to how your zukes are doing!!!
We love to hear updates!!!

(and we love to hear zucchini recipes too! cool thumbup )

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard