This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20405 October 9th, 2004 at 01:56 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so, I still haven't done anything good with my amaryllis bulbs.

I have 4. I took 2 out of the pots because there were no leaves left and figured I should pull them out for the season. I still have 2 in pots. One is still green & pretty, the other isn't. I figure I need to pull them up, too. Do I need to do anything special with this one that has leaves? And, I'm putting up some pics of my 2 bulbs that I have pulled up. They still have roots on them. Do I do anything special to these? Let them dry & sit up for at least 6 weeks, right? Then replant them & they will possibly bloom?

plants/amaryllis.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/amaryllisbulbs3.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/amaryllisbulbs2.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

plants/amaryllisbulbs1.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

#20406 October 9th, 2004 at 02:20 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
You've got to keep the bulbs in the dark for the 6-8 weeks or you will get some great foliage but no flower when you re-start it into growth.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/amaryllis.html

#20407 October 9th, 2004 at 04:36 AM
T
T
You have to keep them in a cool,dark place. Check them every couple of weeks. When you see WHITE new leave tips starting to come up re-plant and water with warm water and put in a bright west,south or east window.

Tom

#20408 October 9th, 2004 at 05:21 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey wavey wavey Hi Sami,
Whatchya been up too??????????
How's work???
Go to the returning member's and say HI wavey wavey wavey

It's awefully quiet without you around!!! gab gab

Weezie

#20409 October 9th, 2004 at 06:08 AM
Sami, have you got any pictures of other roots?

I had a really great idea for a series with pictures of roots and wouldn't mind using your pictures. Giving you the photo credits, of course.

#20410 October 9th, 2004 at 08:59 AM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't think I have any other root pics right now, Carly, but I am always taking pics of stuff around my yard, so I may before long.

Hey, Weezie. Works going good but it's been such a career change (going from a telecommunications atmosphere to a medical atmosphere) and getting back into the swing of things has kept me off the net a lot more. I've learned so much here & I'm it's time (fall) to put some of that knowledge to work so I've been spending most of my "free" time trying to do my fall planting.

Thanks for the info Bill & Tom R...what do I do about the one that's still green? Do I let it "die" off or do I dig it up & cut the leaves off (I think I read not to do that).

#20411 October 9th, 2004 at 03:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've got tons of amaryllis. They are planted in the ground in a spot that is shady in the winter and sunny in the summer. I never dig them up and I get blooms twice a year from them. I don't cut the leaves off until they are brown and on the ground.

Hope this helps!

Karen grinnnn

#20412 October 9th, 2004 at 07:48 PM
Sami Offline OP
OP Offline
That helps a ton, Karen! So, I'll replant them in the ground this spring & leave them there.

#20413 October 9th, 2004 at 08:29 PM
Karen or anyone else who can help,

Can I force a second bloom indoors? Mine bloomed a couple or three months back and is in the ground right now and went through one freeze night where it got down to 30ish. It has been since then and I would love to force it indoors since I want to move it anyhow. If I force it now, will it bloom again next summer and will it even bloom now since it already has this year?

TIA

Triss

Link Copied to Clipboard