This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20386 August 20th, 2004 at 03:41 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Hi,
In my spring flower order was included as a gift...6 Mexican shell flower bulbs. Not knowing anything about them I just stuck them in a moist,full sun,mulched spot. All six came up but only one developed into a flower..pic attached. I really like it but none of my books(3) have anything about them. Do they come in different colors,location.wet dry.sun or shade?. I am in zone 5 so I bet I have to store the bulbs this winter. Thanks for all info,maybe I will plant more..this one deserves a friend> shellflower

#20387 August 20th, 2004 at 03:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I found this on the net...

MEXICAN SHELL flower (Tigridia pavonia). Bulbs, all zones. Blooms July and August. Each flower lasts for only a single day, but a succession of flowers prolongs the show to two to three weeks or more. And what a show! The 3- to 6-inch-wide blossoms have triangular outer segments in solid shades (white, yellow, apricot, pink, and red) and smaller inner segments and center cups with blotched or spotted patterns resembling exotic sea shells.

growing tips. Full sun near the coast, afternoon shade inland. For the best display, plant bulbs in groups of 10 to 12. In rich, porous soil, set bulbs 2 to 4 inches deep and 4 to 8 inches apart. In containers, plant six to eight bulbs in a 9-inch pot. Water regularly and feed every two weeks with a mild solution of liquid fertilizer. In mild-winter areas, bulbs can stay in the ground; divide them every three to four years. In cold-winter areas, let the foliage ripen, then dig bulbs and store.

Hope this helps!

Karen grinnnn

#20388 August 20th, 2004 at 04:23 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Karen!
Bummer on the one day bloom,good thing I took a pic. I geuss I will pop them out this fall and try them again next year. It better be more than a one man show next year or Back to mexico they go............

#20389 August 20th, 2004 at 01:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You could always put them in a pot and bring them inside. They might rebloom inside this winter. I've done that when I had bulbs that I didn't know where I was gonna put them and they bloomed inside. It was a great surprise during the dreary winter!

Karen grinnnn

Link Copied to Clipboard