This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20260 September 12th, 2004 at 07:46 PM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year I grew some eucalyptus that did so well, I put some in again this year. My problem is I cant get any info on how to dry it . Last year when I harvested it I hung it upside down in bunches like most things to dry but it got dried out and crispy. It still smells nice but what is that coating they use (waxy) to preserve it and use in arrangements? Where can I get it?

#20261 September 20th, 2004 at 03:27 AM
T
T
Glycerine is what florists have used to cure euc leaves and stems . it can be purchased at any drug store, but nowadays you have to sign for it. Will look up proportions, glyerine to water, and get back to you.

#20262 September 20th, 2004 at 08:48 PM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, thank you !! I thought I'd stumped everybody. I remember when I was little making flowers with glycerin?? I'll check online and see what I can find out too. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. smile

#20263 September 21st, 2004 at 04:37 AM
T
T
Michiagan State University Extension service has a great article on drying with glycerine. Look for their 'Old House Web' and abc catagories g. Hope you can find this cause my descripion stinks. I can email you the page if you like. I think i can anyway.

#20264 November 1st, 2004 at 04:27 PM
P
P
Melcon6,

Hope this info is not too late for you.

http://www.australiaplants.com/Eucalyptus_Info.htm

From the same article:

Preserving Eucalyptus: If you want to preserve fresh foliage, use a 50-50 glycerin and water mix. Stick the cut ends of stems in this mixture in a low light area, in about 2-3 weeks, the Eucalyptus will have absorbed the glycerin and be ready for use. Glycerin can usually be obtained from a pharmacy and you can easily do your own preserving. Much of the Eucalyptus I have seen in the craft stores all smells alike and has been obviously dyed in different colors. To each his own, but why waste the beauty of the many varied "natural" scents of Eucalyptus? You certainly won't find any naturally lemon scented Eucalyptus at your craft store! Talk about fragrance, the lemon scented Corymbia citriodora has got to be tops!
Other sources:

http://www.nfc.org.uk/tips2.htm

http://www.preservedgardens.com/glycerin-antifreeze.htm

#20265 November 2nd, 2004 at 01:14 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you so much Papito for thinking of me ! I still haven't harvested the eucalyptus and there's still lots that is alive despite some pretty good frosts: I guess I just haven't gotten around to going to the pharmacy, and not sure how it comes , how much I need , but now that you've taken the time to think of me , I'll have to take the time to preserve my eucalyptus! thumbup

#20266 November 2nd, 2004 at 01:56 AM
P
P
Mel,
If Glycerin is not readily available from the pharmacies/drug stores, maybe you can look into anti-freeze (sometimes they are formulated as propylene glycol or ethylene glycol or something similar, as long as the glycerin is a main ingredient). See additional info on the third site.

Sorry, I didn't mean to push you; I missed your post and only saw it last night.

Link Copied to Clipboard