This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20220 February 17th, 2004 at 11:37 PM
syl726 Offline OP
OP Offline
I must say, I was surprised when I first heard the mention of rooting a leaf frown

Please explain. Must it have a node? I'm VERY interested. laugh

#20221 February 17th, 2004 at 11:47 PM
What type of plant are you talking about? Yes, you can root a leaf with a node from a pathos, African violet, and a few others. I've done the pathos version. I cut a leaf with stem that had a little node on it and put it in water. Within a few days it had roots. When the roots were a few inches long, I planted it in soil. Its now filling out its little pot and doing quite well.

#20222 February 17th, 2004 at 11:50 PM
R
R
Well, I don't know about rooting any and or all leaves....I do know ( from experience ) that violets are very easy to root from a leaf. When one gets "accidentally" ( by dogs usually) gets knocked off. I trim the stem to about an eigth of an inch from the leaf. You can put in directcly in soil.....keep moist and under a plastic bag, I don't seal mine tight, I just check it each day, or you can put tin foil over a small glass. Like a shot glass or an coffe cup, cut a slit in the tin foil and push the remaining stem into the water. I try and keep my water level where the leaf edge meets the stem, not at the bottom of the stem, or not half way up the leaf. Then the baby violet (takes about a month) will put itty bitty leaves and the joint of leaf and stemm. I've had really good results with this and have given almost all my babies away, because my friends are always saying.....ahhhh how cute, what an adorable lil violet. Then I think .....well, if they get into flowers and gardening, I will get some of there "run overs". that hasn't happened yet ( except for family plants) but most of my friends have several babies or rescued office plants in their homes. It's nice to visit them, ( and my friends too) hahahaha
Hope this helped a lil bit! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard