This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19269 May 19th, 2004 at 02:21 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just wondering if a bare root rose planted this spring will actually bloom this year? I bought a bunch this spring and wonder whether I will get any roses this summer.

#19270 May 19th, 2004 at 07:39 PM
They can...I bought 2 new bare root roses & one is now budding & will soon bloom, and the other one looks dead as a doornail & dormant as can be....so I guess it just depends on the type of rose.

#19271 May 24th, 2004 at 02:07 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks, Chrissy! I finally see a few buds on a few of the new roses....some, as you say, are leafing out, but no buds.

Here's something for you.......

last year was our first spring/summer at this house....we inherited a rose bush in the backyard...after we uncovered all of the years of growth around it, it bloomed red...which isn't my favorite color in the garden...i prefer pastels, pinks, purples, blues....anyway this year it blooms PINK!!! How?

ANYONE have any ideas why? It was most certainly red last year!

#19272 May 24th, 2004 at 05:01 PM
I think a few factors could be at play here. I have been told that roses can change the color of their blooms from one year to the next due to soil conditions, & heat. You say it used to bloom red when it was overgrown...but after pruning & cleaning up the rose bush this year it is pink. It is likely that the cleaning up you did exposed more of the bush to sunlight & thereby caused the pigment in the rose petals to become slightly bleached by the sun making them look pink. I am just guessing on this, hopefully someone with more rose expertise will come through & answer this for you.

#19273 May 24th, 2004 at 07:16 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'd say the red rose was from the "root stock", and then when you started taking care of it what was still there from grafting got healthy enough to grow and bloom (pink). Or, the other way around. But sounds like your root stock bloomed.

#19274 May 28th, 2004 at 03:58 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Chrissy and Cindy,

Thanks! I was very curious to figure it out. We added soil and mulch, plus coffee grinds and now i am trying to find some photos from last year see exactly what color they were to be of more help figuring out the mystery.

Barb

Link Copied to Clipboard