This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19013 July 29th, 2004 at 08:56 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Have you ever seen anybody get so obsessed with a topic - I gotta' know. Thanks so much for the help I've already got on this.

Here are five shots I took today - if you can, tell me which is the yarrow and which is the q. a.

# 1
[Linked Image]

# 2
[Linked Image]

# 3
[Linked Image]

# 4
[Linked Image]

# 5
[Linked Image]

#19014 July 30th, 2004 at 06:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know what yarrow looks like, but I think #1, 2, 4 and 5 look like they might be Queen Anne's. I don't recognize #3. I would check with someone that knows though, because I believe Queen Anne's poisonous.

#19015 July 30th, 2004 at 08:19 PM
N
N
Hi Carly,
Queen ann's lace is a whiter flower than the yarrow. They also bloom at different times. Your pics look like queen ann's lace to me. Take a look here.

http://www.wildflowers.reach.net/yarrow.html

It is a member of the carrot family and isn't poisonious.

Newt

#19016 July 31st, 2004 at 04:02 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I got more of that feathery fern stuff - it seems to be everywhere - I hear that's yarrow.

#19017 July 31st, 2004 at 07:09 PM
N
N
Hi Carly,
That feathery fern stuff sounds like the yarrow. Isn't it a pain? Spreads everywhere. ters

Hope you can pull it up where you don't want it. If you keep some just make sure you clip off the spent seed heads before the seeds ripen and it spreads more.

Newt

#19018 July 31st, 2004 at 10:33 PM
The first photot looks like it's the only one that could be Yarrow, to me. It's hard to tell. The rest all look like QAL, simply because they are more organized looking, with a definite center area. QAL often has a small black or dark center.

Yarrow tends to look more irregular, like a cloud. I used to have a whole bunch of them a friend gave me, in lots of great colors, pink, lavender, yellow, orange and red. They were fabulous, but they were also rampant. I moved them to a shady, less hopspitable area, hoping that it would slow them down. Unfortunatly, I lost most of them.

There was a funny little sort of inchworm that loved to adorn itself with tiny yarrow petals in order to camoflage itself from predators. We'd cut the yarrow for flower arrangements and the arrangements would be animated with these cute little guys walking around in their fancy outfits. I miss them.

#19019 August 2nd, 2004 at 06:56 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Ha ha! Bess, that reminds me of when my first husband and I bought a house in Orangeville, Ontario.

It was wonderful to move to what was considered 'the country' then.

It was the early 70s - my daughter was a year and a half.

We moved in on the Saturday. As the sub-divider hadn't started to build on the next lots, the field was overgrown with daisies.

I got up early on the Sunday morning while my husband and daughter were sleeping.

I picked a big bouquet and carried them into my brand new kitchen.

The baby woke up and began to cry for mama - I went to her room to find she'd taken off her diapers and mapped the produce all over the wall.

I cleaned that up with water from the bathroom and when I'd finished, I carried Christine into the kitchen where the daisies were on the table and the bugs were having a wonderful parade.

What a mess!

Link Copied to Clipboard