This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Hi!

I am a new member, I just finished posting in the New Members area, and the site and forums look fantastic! I am a pretty novice gardener, but I learn quickly. I just purchased a new home in the San Francisco Bay Area (see my post in New Members) and I want to focus on growing fruits and veggies mainly. I have a couple of questions, and I figured this was the place to go.

First, I am looking specificly for a Don Gillogly avocado (dwarf). I have read a bit about them, and it is definitely the variety I want to try. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a place near the San Francisco area to purchase one. I am actually in Contra Costa county, but I would be willing to drive an hour in any direction to find one. I have seen them for sale on the internet from Wayside Gardens, but I read elsewhere that people that purchased them from that site got a 4 inch plant in various states (some in bad shape). Also the cost for one from there is FIFTY BUCKS! Those that bought from a nursery in the southern California area have reported buying for the same price, but getting a 4-6 ft tree. I am more than willing to pay 50 dollars for one, but I would prefer to buy from a local nursery to see what I'm getting, or at least buy from a site that can offer a cheaper price if I am indeed getting a 4 inch plant. Any ideas?

I also am interested in growing a few fruit trees and shrubs. Apple, lemon, lime, perhaps a peach and a pear, and definitely blueberries. Obviously I want to get a variety going, and I'm looking for dwarfs for all trees, and also looking at espaliering some of them along a back fenceline. I would love to hear some varieties that you like for these fruits, and what you think would work well for me in my area, and when I would be wise to start them. The sonner I start, the sooner I can eat some great fruit I figure, but I don't want to plant at the wrong time.

As far as veggies and herbs go, I plan on trying some of them as well, but most outdoor veggies will have to wait until next year when I can start quite a bit earlier. I definitely would like to start artichokes (a personal favorite of mine), so recommendations for them would be great. Also, what can I start around mid august, as far as veggies go?

Sorry for so many questions, but a brand new home with a nice backyard for growing edible fruit/veggie plants has me excited!

Hi LateShift,
Welcome! I've only been here a week or two myself, but I can tell you the people here are really friendly and readily share their vast knowledge about everything gardening.

That said, I wanted to let you know OSH has 5 Gallon Dwarf Citrus trees on sale for $19.99 until July 18. (I'm in the Bay Area too.) This sale is in their current advertisement. You'll probably find some of what you're looking for if you go to your local OSH. They had a huge selection when I was there last week. I've bought a few herbs and vegetables from there, and the quality has been consistently good.

Best of luck to you in your new house! wink

L
OP Offline
L
Ack! Today is the 18th so I think I might be too late! shk I'll still head there to see if they extended it though. Thanks for the info!!

Oops! shocked Sorry, I lost track of the date. That happens sometimes on the weekend. grinnnn

L
OP Offline
L
No problem! Thanks for the reply, I will still give them a look tomorrow to see if they extended the sale.

Still wondering about that Don Gillogly avocado (see above) if anyone knows anything.

P
P
LateShift, here's the info you are looking for.

Don Gillogly Avocado

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for your reply, I should ahve been a bit clearer. In my first post in this thread, I mentioned the site you linked above. The problem is, that is the only one I can find selling them, and they are FIFTY DOLLARS. That isn't even that big of a problem, but I have read from other people that the "tree" you get is reportedly 4 INCHES TALL. 50 bucks for a 4 inch tall tree???

I was hoping someone knew where to buy them in the San Francisco Bay area, or at worst another site to try. Thanks for the effort though.

L
OP Offline
L
Hello again.

This is an old topic I know, but Wayside is having a sale on this type of avocado, so I FINALLY was able to pick one up for $25.00, half the price they normally are. I thought I would provide the link in case anyone else was interested. The claim is they can be grown as a houseplant, that will fruit, in colder areas. Mine will be going in the ground eventually, but I thought it was interesting for those that may want to try an avocado as a houseplant.

In the meantime I have already picked up a Hass avocado locally, so at least I will get to compare the two. The Don Gillogly is supposed to blow away the Hass in terms of quality and taste of fruit, so we will see.

Wayside Garden\'s

Link Copied to Clipboard